free website stats program New type drive belt fitting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New type drive belt fitting

Fin
I was worried when I saw it. To be honest, I did not give the fender clearance much thought when I looked at clearances as I was mostly (only) considering the belt and swingarm set-up...
As I was doing a total re-build this winter, I have everything routed on the LH side.
Now here is a bit of interesting info - not sure if all Harleys are the same, but all tourers (that I've looked at) are set up like this:
The rear wheel is sitting offset to the right, giving a larger gap on the LH side of the fender. Not sure if it is offset relative to the front wheel or only to the fender, but I will check.
The tank is also sitting offset to the right, giving a larger gap on the RH side. The net result is that the front wiring harness is routed on the RH side under the tank, while for the rear end it is routed on the LH side.

I have no experience with the touring models so i was not aware of the offsets and that the wiring is only on one side in the rear fender
however i would take a wee bit of care on the first few outings and check the tyre for scuffing
But i am pretty sure a man of your experience will do that anyway

Brian

Fin
I think you would have reconsidered your kind words if you had seen my first attempts at measuring motor/tranny/rear end combo and front end/frame alignment...
Finally, I started thinking and managed to get reliable readings:
I did the vertical first, and found the top of my rear wheel tilting to the left. With my already tight clearance to the RH side of the fender, I thought I was in trouble. Luckily, the lateral adjustment brought the rear wheel to the left, giving me a touch more clearance than I orginally had.
Today I rode to work, and noticed better balance with hands off the handlebars, and an improved tracking feeling than before.
To all of you with un-adjusted Tourers and Dynas; I highly recommend to go through this hassle...

I have seen up sized tires work for one up riding but when going to up it can be trouble so check,check and triple check with 2 people. Good luck hope it works out the way you wanted.

I have seen up sized tires work for one up riding but when going to up it can be trouble so check,check and triple check with 2 people. Good luck hope it works out the way you wanted.

Thanks for the tip/reminder. My fender has a sharp 90 degrees inwards lip at the lower edge which seems to be the closest point to the tyre. Still, there are a couple of nuts & bolts protruding inside the fender further up that I will double-check for clearance as well...

Back