free website stats program new trans? | Harley Davidson Forums

new trans?

glimmerman

called moco today about previous problem w/ trans and dealer. appears moco only responsible for factory defects not dealer workmanship. trans problem is on me. since h-d is on the sign, i feel moco is ultimately responsible and said i would seek redress through litigation after new trans installed. (i'll sue the pants off'n 'em) got call from district service rep who wants to check bike and says,"ALL PROBLEMS ARE CAUSED BY MY USE OF NON-APPROVED OIL AND LUBRICANTS". gentlemen, please feel free to comment on what is an approved oil or lubricant as i am tragically uninformed.

called moco today about previous problem w/ trans and dealer. appears moco only responsible for factory defects not dealer workmanship. trans problem is on me. since h-d is on the sign, i feel moco is ultimately responsible and said i would seek redress through litigation after new trans installed. (i'll sue the pants off'n 'em) got call from district service rep who wants to check bike and says,"ALL PROBLEMS ARE CAUSED BY MY USE OF NON-APPROVED OIL AND LUBRICANTS". gentlemen, please feel free to comment on what is an approved oil or lubricant as i am tragically uninformed.

I would like to know what they consider an approved lube, anything is better than syn3 JMO I would not run that in any hole in my bike let alone the tranny Good Luck

"ALL PROBLEMS ARE CAUSED BY MY USE OF NON-APPROVED OIL AND LUBRICANTS".

I feel your pain. I can not imagine having to deal with someone of that mentality.

I would ask that gentleman to repeat that comment for the record along with an explanation of how Syn 3 is a better transmission lubricant than Redline Shockproof. Be sure to inform him that the conversation is being recorded. Good luck getting him to repeat such a ludicrous statement.

Don't know what you had in the Tranny but my HD Dealer out here is Kalifonia sells Red Line Products and, at a nominal additional charge, will install it for ya when he services your bike. Sounds like your Dealer is tryin to mess with ya. I'd tell em they hafta prove the problem was lubrication and not a mechanical problem, then we could talk about weather the lubrication was up to HD spec or not.
Another case in point.........to wit, not all Dealers Service Depatments are the same, talk to the other Harley Riders around you, find out which Service Departments are good and which ones are not so good. You need these guys on your side when your dealing with the MOCO on warrenty issues, they can make your case or allow you to be given grief by the MOCO.
What happend to your Tranny? What kinda lube was in it? This sounds interesting.

He's blowing smoke at you and trying to get you to run scared and drop the matter. As long as you have receipts and records of where you bought the fluid and when you did the changes, they don't have a leg to stand on legally speaking. Get everything they are claiming in writing and keep bumping the issue up as high as you need to go to get satisfied.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Also, as a previous poster mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to name the dealer and/or service person here and on any other forums you belong to. As a collective Harley riding community, we need to weed out this attitude among dealers and money and customers walking is all they seem to understand.

That's right Doc. If I knew the Dealer and he was in my area, I wouldn't go there and I'd tell the riders I know the story.
The reputable Dealers, and there are a lot of them, would not let this happen to a guy who just spent $25 to $30 thousand dollars on a bike unless he totaly blew it and really did put something in the tranny that wasn't any good. Think I'll start a "Good Dealer Service" Thread and see if we get some stories.
The 1st question still stands.........What lube was in the tranny when it blew?

my non approved fluids are mobil 1 20-50 v-twin full synthetic and redline trans heavy duty with shockproof. i used h-d chaincase lube and i do have receipts, work orders and paid extra for them to fetch it up.

today i drained out the dino trans fluid i had used to get to stealer's shop. looked like washed out redline so that stuff is superior when it comes to stick-to-it-ness. stuff is like glue. replace w/ redline (non approved fluid). owner's manual says replace w/ 32 oz. fl. (period) nothing showing on dipstick as directed in owner's manual. break open another quart and give it a few big glugs and wait. nothing on stick. couple more and i get a reading at bottom. slowly add until shows full on stick. here is some of the missing trans fluid. don't go by the book but by the stick. you will need at least 1.25 to 1.5 quarts (u.s.) to fill this case to dipstick level. now, do i get a new trans or at least a factory recall on all the books?

i will not name the dealer but i do live in delaware and it doesn't take rocket science to figure out where i went. yes, you have it if you have a 2010 touring handbook. i will probably consult w/ our local consumer affairs dept. as moco is worried about their image and the dealer's as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back