free website stats program New to the world of Harley Davidson | Harley Davidson Forums

New to the world of Harley Davidson

Mullup70

]Hi all

Im new to the world of Harley Davidson. I purchased my 1996 fxdl last sundy, and have only been able to put 44Kms on the clock in a week.Well i actually put the 44kms on in the first hour but have been unable to ride the bike as the idiot light come on and wont go off.I traced the wire from the oil sensor and found it to be damaged so replaced it but to no avail,I then replaced the sensor with a pressure gauge still nothing.If anyone has any ideas what could have happened here please reply.IM FREAKIN OUT

By the way there was no change in the bikes heartbeat when this happened no knocking no rattles.:bigsmiley15:

Try this procedure using the data link connector under the seat and see if you can pull a code.

If the light stays on, it's a current fault code. If it goes off seconds after starting it is a past code that is stored and 50 start run cycles will extinguish it of at least 30 seconds each.
The dealer can also extinguish it but will probably charge for it.

00-03 HD Codes And Activation - Harley Davidson Community

Gary caught that, I missed that about no pressure with the gauge.

The evo oil pump would be the first thing I would check. Look for the key in the drive if it is sheared or not but don't run the engine until you find out why you have no oil pressure.

HD1065028.gif

Thanks Glider and Gary for your reply i just recieved a new sensor in the post and opened it to find it broken.I think im just going to take it to HD tech and let them sort it out thanks again cheers

Just curious... Where did you install the gauge? Also what type of gauge and what was the range...

A 96 Evo, depending on the how hot the motor is may register very low on a gauge at idle..

The oil pressure sensor port is fed from the tappet screen channel, it then goes to the tappet guides, to the hydraulic lifters. The oil then pumps up the lifters then up the oil passage in the valve push rods. The pressure switch is activated (light goes out) at 5 psi. If the tappet screen is clogged it will restrict oil flow.

Pull the plug over the tappet screen and check to see if it's clean. The screen is installed cone end up, open end to the bottom. Try installing a 0 - 20 psi gauge in the pressure switch hole.

If the oil fails to return to the tank, check the scavenger pump gear drive shaft key. When the engine receives no lubrication (oil remains in the tank), the drive shaft key on the feed pump drive gear may be sheared. Both indications together could be caused by a sheared oil pump (gearcase) drive gear key.

If your not hearing any knocking or grinding it's probably a bad gauge and PSI switch...

It will be clear real quick if you have no oil flowing....

Hi thanks for the warm welcome RichardS and to all that replied to this post your a great bunch of people. The bike just got picked up by the harley tech and i should know what the problem is tomorrow arvo. I will keep you posted on the outcome as soon as i hear from him.

Thanks again

Well just got off the phone with the HD Tech and the news is grim. The repair bill at this time stands at $1.100 and thats without checking the cam......This is the worse week of my life when it comes to vehicles .I feel ill

Back