free website stats program New tires from dealer | Harley Davidson Forums

New tires from dealer

dogdad

My dealer told me that when they change tires on a RKC,,they usually install new tubes also. Is this the norm??,,or just to be safe. My bike has 12500 miles, original tires, no rough driving. Costing roughly $200 for tire and install each.

For the $40.00 it cheap insurance. It is recommended to always replace tubes and rim strips when changing tires on spoke wheels.

Even many independent shops won't reuse a tube for liability reasons. I think it is good insurance.

When i was a young lad many years ago and getting 3500 miles out of a tyre a may have used the tube with more than 1 tyre but with a wee bit more experience and knowledge i always replace the tube with the tyre i have a few used tubes laying around the bike shed just in case i need some thin rubber for something

Brian

My dealer told me that when they change tires on a RKC,,they usually install new tubes also. Is this the norm??,,or just to be safe. My bike has 12500 miles, original tires, no rough driving. Costing roughly $200 for tire and install each.

Not changing a tube when putting on a new tire is like washing your face with a dirty wash rag! - JMO

Well that's that,,new tubes it will be. Thanks to everyone,,,I'm always learning positive info here.

JMO, check around at your local indy shops...I'm sure they can beat that price. Nothing against dealerships but when I put new tires on my scoot, my local dealer wanted almost twice what a indy charged me. I got Michelin Commanders installed for 290.00.

New tubes AND rim tape. You have to remove both to throughly inspect the spoke nipples and wheel condition. Once off, those rubber parts likely will show deterioration, wear and moisture so most just replace as a matter of policy. Rubber does not last and when degraded does not show the microfractures and brittle behavior that has set in.

Back