free website stats program New rider - Iron 883N | Harley Davidson Forums

New rider - Iron 883N

dannyh914

Hey guys, I'm a new rider in middle of getting my license . I'm going through the Harley Davidson Easy Rider course and can't wait to finish to start riding. I've found a 09 XL 883N for sale here in NJ but I'm unsure if I want to go that route. What do you guys think of an XL 833N as a starter bike?

Also after doing some research I've heard some people say not to buy a Harley under a 1000 and others say you get tired of the 883 engine really quick. What are your thoughts on that? I'm a small guy, I'm only 5'10" 145 lbs so I'd think the 883 would be a good size for me. If you guys can give me your opinions I'd really appreciate it.

welcome to the forum. might be a good idea to go to the dealer and sit on a few different bikes, you need to be comfortable

Welcome to the forum Danny. You will get many different opinions, Harley riders all love their particular model. In my opinion, you don't match the size of the rider to the bike. You match the bike to the TYPE of riding that you will do MOST. It's not an easy decision, but can be a lot of fun.

I got my license at the end of June and bought a Chrome Yellow 883 Iron and I really like it. Of course, the only other bike I've ridden is a Buell Blast. So far I have mostly commuted to work, short trips, and errands.

I like that the bike is small and easy to handle. I am 5'8" & 220lbs. and feel confident that I am control it. Its quick enough, stops fast, and sounds good. I have gotten many compliments on her so far.

The downsides are; with the tail lights and license plate bracket I am having trouble finding a storage solution that looks good and fits the bike without moving the lights and plate. No that I am feeling more comfortable I want to take longer trips and I have solved the space problems yet. Second, the 3.3 gallon tank it SMALL. I get great mileage but 3.3 isn't a whole lot. Not a big deal really.

For me she's a good first bike and I am enjoying her greatly. I may, however, end up giving the 883 to my wife and get a Triumph for myself. We'll see.

Breeze3at pretty much said, i just bought a 05 883 sporty about 3-4 months ago and i love it as my first bike. Havent gone on any long trips, it would be tiring. No windshield. But Im already in need of a 1200cc. 883's are great but you'll probably grow out of it. Ride it up!

My sportster is an 883 with stage 1 tuning and it is a great bake around town and on the country roads it is light and handles well it can do 100+ mph although 85 seems to be my limit and i have ridden it on longer journeys and it performed well
Not a bad bike to have

Brian

Thanks for all the input guys, you guys definitely gave me the best advice I heard. Someone beat me to the Iron 833 I was looking at :( however I just picked up another 883. What do you think? 1200 conversion further down the road?......

Attachments

• IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 28
Due to the different gearing of the 883 and 1200 if you upgrade an 883 to 1200 you will have quicker acceleration but a lower top speed

Brian

more acceleration sounds good to me.. 70 or 80mph is fast enough on my sporty, but I would like it to get there quicker

danny; I'll echo what breeze pointed out - think about how you want to use the bike (experience gain, short/long trip, commuting, pleasure, etc.). Sporty's are great little short-trippers, but can easily be outfitted for longer treks too. Now I won't say I'd swap my touring for a 1000-mile journey, but Sportsters are (in my mind) HD's little sports car & very fun to ride (nimble, light, fast & economical). You can keep this bike for a long time & be very pleased & there might come a time later down the road when another bike's calling your name. Riding's a journey so, for now, have a good time w/the Sportster & ride safe!

Back