free website stats program New or Used ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New or Used ?

It has been a long time since i bought a new vehicle for bikes i prefer older ones anyway i dont really want to get involved with modern electronics the last 2 bikes i have bought have been problem bikes so i got them for a good price for what they are and i get to exercise my repair skills to make them good

Brian

For me it's a financial issue. I never wanted a stock bike and if I bought a new one then I wouldn't have any money for customizing. I bought my 02 Super Glide last October for a bargain and spent the winter turning it into my dream machine. Now that I have spent all the money on parts I have no intention on selling anytime soon. I'd like to say that I added value to the bike but I know I would never get all of the money I spent back.

I agree that there is no right answer. We all approach life differently. a friend of mine that is a USAF contract mechanic for a living, finances a new Harley almost as soon as he gets one paid off (trade's in). He knows what he wants, and has the dealer do/add everything before delivery (nearly full tilt price). He won't put a wrench on his bike, cuz he thinks the dealer will void his warranty. He has a special HD edition Snap on tool box with little model harleys all lined up on it (I don't know whats inside).

I save my money and pay cash for a used Harley when I have to have a "new bike", and usually keep the old one. I shopped for a year for my most recent bike. I won't let anyone do anything to my bike that I think I can do myself. I like learning about everything I can about my bike. I shop online for accessories/upgrades and get the best deal I can. If I don't love it when I get it on, it comes off and gets sold on Craigs or Ebay. Sometimes I go the the garage with the intention of taking a ride, and get distracted putzing with something on it instead of riding.

Bottom line, we both love our bikes, just differently. :bigsmiley12:

Its all about dependabiliy for me, I wrench for a living and do work on my own junk but could do more. I bought my 06 Heritage used and had some issues getting it to the point that I can trust its not going to leave me on the side of the road. The wifes bike has to be 100% so it was new to us in 08.

I like new about every 4 years. My trades bring top dollar . I keep good records and do all my own service usually ahead of schedule:s

I was looking for a used Electraglide in 2008 however at the time, the pickings were pretty slim and used models with lower mileage were going for almost as much as new.

Ended up buying a new 2008 Electraglide Classic and now with almost 36,000 kms on the clock it is going as strong as ever.

Recently upgraded the engine to the 103 inch stage 2 and when this engine finally wears out, it will be time to drop in a 120R...:D

Previous Harleys were also bought new and traded every few years. This one is a keeper though and no plans to trade it in anytime soon.

There are lots of well priced used bikes on the market these days so I would probably look at used if I was buying another one tomorrow.

When I bought my 09 RKC I made it a goal to put 100,000 miles on it, and I plan in reaching that goal. With that being said you never know when your gonna be in the right place at the right time and find a deal you just can't pass up. But to me Id feel alot of pride to put 100k on my bike and being able to do my own wrenching to keep her running means something to me.
WAP.gif

Back