free website stats program New bike order, how long did yours take | Harley Davidson Forums

New bike order, how long did yours take

joel

If you order'd a new H-D that had to come from the factory, how long did it take? We started on Nov 8, dealer didn't have the bike we wanted, we got a quote, a few days later the dealer called and said they ordered it becouse we seemed interested. After getting quotes from a couple other dealers we made our deal with the first dealer on Nov 20th, keep in mind they said already ordered the bike on or arround the 10th of Nov. today is Dec. 21 st. and still no call. I have called them a few times to let them know that evan though I can't ride for 6 months it would be nice to look at it.

Tell them to locate the bike you want at another dealer and they swap units. Most dealers will offer this to a customer. If they don't want to do it, ask for your deposit back and I'll bet they come up with what you ordered real quick then. There are no "custom" bike orders from the factory, they are all made the same and the dealer can do certain things when they come in.

EDIT:
Re reading your post, it sounds as if they ordered the bike without your approval/consent . If this is the case, do an internet search to find the one you want as long as it is close to you. It sounds like they have "tried you out" to see if they can push you into the deal. I don't think I would do business with this dealer myself.

Last edited:
Just want to point something out here with "custom" orders.

If you order the bike and add a custom paint collection that is a HD option, be sure to ask for the stock tins that came on your bike when you do it. The dealers like to not mention that they do the swap and often end up keeping the stock tins for resale at their profit.

This holds true for upgrades as well like slip ons, front chrome slider upgrades etc. These are YOUR parts paid for by YOU when you bought the bike and you should get them back after the upgrade is done. Your choice there as what to do with them afterward like sell them , give them away, make a lamp etc.

Just a heads up.:D

That happened to me...when I bought my 08 RK it had the Vance Hines Classic slip on mufflers with the stage 1 kit,,,after a couple of months I started thinking exactly what Glider is saying here. I paid for my stock bike PLUS the Vance Hines upgrade. I wasn't offered the stock mufflers,and after thinking about it ,,I wanted them,not that i was going to change them back. I went in and talked to the GM and he got me a brand new set of stock mufflers. Now there sitting around my house,,not the dealership.

When it comes to these dealers, I know most of the slimy deals they will try to get away with. They usually have a pile of the stock take offs of every kind in the basement and if you complain loud enough when they don't give you yours back, they will give you somebody elses that didn't ask for them.

I think they have to hold them for 30 days and then they own them.

Nothing real speacial about the order for the bike other than the color, Deep Turquoise/Antique White, ABS, Security, and Smooth laced wheels, RoadKing Classic, Dealers as far away as 400 miles, [closest] could make 1 from switching the painted parts to the bike with ABS and Smooth wheels, for an extra fee, but than not only is there a chance of scratches on it from the tear down and reassemble, but I also want the vin # info. to match the paint. also there would be an extra charge to ship it here. We did get the price down enough to make ABS, Security, and Wheels at no extra charge, truly making this RKC less than when we bought a RKC in 03, anyway I'll be calling on tuesday and start pushing. Reminding them of the dealer in Portland, Or. that was even lower priced. Still evan if it came in this week I could only look at it, as I had shoulder surg. on the 5th of Dec. and doc said no riding untill late May early June.

I don't know what would be worse, having a bike I ordered not come in as scheduled? Or getting the bike I ordered and not be able to ride it until May! WHEW. That one is tough.

Good luck Joel -- keep us posted.

Nothing real speacial about the order for the bike other than the color, Deep Turquoise/Antique White, ABS, Security, and Smooth laced wheels, RoadKing Classic, Dealers as far away as 400 miles, [closest] could make 1 from switching the painted parts to the bike with ABS and Smooth wheels, for an extra fee, but than not only is there a chance of scratches on it from the tear down and reassemble, but I also want the vin # info. to match the paint. also there would be an extra charge to ship it here. We did get the price down enough to make ABS, Security, and Wheels at no extra charge, truly making this RKC less than when we bought a RKC in 03, anyway I'll be calling on tuesday and start pushing. Reminding them of the dealer in Portland, Or. that was even lower priced. Still evan if it came in this week I could only look at it, as I had shoulder surg. on the 5th of Dec. and doc said no riding untill late May early June.

Hey Joel, if your dealing with Shumate, I hope your dealing with Big Al. He's they only person at that place I trust. Seems with all the dealers around here the best ones are all at least a couple hundred miles away:( I've heard good things about Missoula HD, Latus is good as it sounds like you know, but I think when it's time for a new one I might head to Beartooth HD in Billings. I WILL NOT buy from Shumate or Lone Wolf......well I might consider Shumate if dealing with Al, since he's kind of a friend of mine.:dknow.

Hey Joel, if your dealing with Shumate, I hope your dealing with Big Al. He's they only person at that place I trust. Seems with all the dealers around here the best ones are all at least a couple hundred miles away:( I've heard good things about Missoula HD, Latus is good as it sounds like you know, but I think when it's time for a new one I might head to Beartooth HD in Billings. I WILL NOT buy from Shumate or Lone Wolf......well I might consider Shumate if dealing with Al, since he's kind of a friend of mine.:dknow.
Hello Wildspirit97, Lonewolf is the dealer we are working with. they made us feel as though they want us to be part of the
'family" I feel good about the final price, and I am dealing with the owner Beth, not any of the sales people, we bought our ultra classic from Shumate, and had problems mainly with their prep work and than a lean condition, [ well come to think of it, a bunch of things] but when it came to fixing the problems I had to figure it out myself and also with the help of this site, my decision against Shumate was baced mainly on the fact that if they don't diagnoss, and I need to bring to their attention factory TSB"s that they claim don't exsist [spelling?] than no more new bike for me from them, I evan let a couple in the sales know this, but yes I agree BIG AL is a great guy and I hope that if the N. Division outlet store ever opens, he does well
't

Back