free website stats program need help | Harley Davidson Forums

need help

99FatEvo

99 Fatboy 80" Evo,
I was runnin good last week and ran out of gas, switched to reserve and ran fine to station, filled up mid grade and then bike wouldnt start, choked it and still just turned over. Gave it full throttle and she sputtered to life. had to keep her runnin to get home. Now First I thought bad fuel so I drained the tanks and cleaned bowl, getting Black smoke out of the pipes and she wont Idle, ANY suggestions would help,

Drop the float bowl again and remove the needle assembly and let some fuel flow from the tank with it apart. It sounds like something lodged in the needle and seat area. Clean off the needle too before replacing it again.

Hope you FLUSHED the tank when you drained it.

First you really need to run high test gas 91-93 octane. Second and I'm not saying it happened but a buddy of mine filled is tank with diesel fuel, real hard to start and fouled plugs (2 sets in 60 miles) before he got it home.

thanks guys, yes I flushed the tank, and cleaned the filter, and no diesel fuel isnt the problem, taking the carb back apart. Great Site, very helpful thanks again,
John

took carb apart cleaned good, put it back on and she fired up good but still wont idle and wont stay running without giving it gas, choke doesnt help, new plugs and good gas, not sure what to do, still smokes black on decel and pops pretty good, not sure what to do next, aint got the money to pay someone to fix it gonna have to figure it out on my own, any help is more than appreceated, John, San Angelo TX

I know you just took the carb apart and cleaned it, did you check to see if the enricher (choke) is seating all the way closed? Is there any popping on decel?

took enricher apart again and cleaned real good, pulled plugs again and cleaned them, started bike, same thing runs but doesnt idle, i have to give it pretty good throttle to keep her runnin. and when i let off its smoking pretty good, i replaced the vacum lines thinking it was the pk not feeding enough gas but it sprays gas when you twist it so I dont know. thanks again guys

Black normally indicate a way too rich condition.........just a thought, I know you say you've cleaned the carb several times already. Try starting it with the PK in the off position and see if it clears up momentarily.

My reason for suggesting this would be to see if it's the needle and seat is still sticking open (even after you've cleaned it) and flooding raw fuel into it. You'll only get a short window of time to see if it will idle properly once the bowl gets to an acceptable level.

Someone else here (Bubbie?) suggested another trick of checking the float level by using a clear piece of fish tank oxygen line or similar connected to the bowl drain. By running it up along the side of the bowl it may give a quick visual of where the level is at. OP stated fuel level in the clear tubing should be about 3/4 up the bowl as a rough guide.

Just a quick suggestion to isolate the needle and seat but keep us posted if you do find the cause.

Back