free website stats program need help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

need help

Once the plugs get wet and fouled It is almost impossible to clean them, or dry them out. IT would be best to change to new plugs with correct gap.

It sounds like you have a clear cut case of a clogged pilot ( idle ) jet. it is often missed when taking apart a carb to look for issues. drop the bowl and remove the pilot jet. the little one in the recessed cavity next to the main jet. you need a thin headed flat head screw driver for this. hold it up to a light and see if you can see light thrue it. Blow it out really good with compressed air till you can. It most likely got clogged when you switched your tank to reserve. sediment can actually settle inside the filter of the petcock and not get pulled into the carb untill your on reserve. pull your petcock and clean the screen in the tank if you havent already.

thanks for all your help, pulled the pilot jet and found all sorts of junk, gonna throw a little sea foam through it and take her out in the morning and see what it does, still got a little black smoke but it is a huge inprovement from what was going on. This is by far the most helpfull site Ive ever been too.,

keep the shinny side up and the wind in your face, John

took the Fatboy for a ride and still having problems, bike wont idle and carb sounds like it sucking in alot of air a little louder hissing than Im used to, runs like a beast top end but wont idle and dies at stops, I know the carb is free of junk cleaned it 4 times now and took all jets out and got rid of all the junk, I thought I had it fixed when i found trash in the pilot jet but its clean, any more suggestions would be great,

Did you check the Slide Diaghram for any pinholes or tears?

You need to take care when reinstalling the top cover to ensure the diaphram sits correctly in the groove. Any pinching will cause problems as well.

I'm thinking it could be that or a bad needle and seat like I mentioned before.

Back