free website stats program need help | Harley Davidson Forums

need help

tdj45

have a 06 FLHT. After riding all day sat. went to start my bike on sun. hit start 1 click. battery and voltage reg. 4-months old. turned switch off had to wait about 2-minuets before turning back to ignition to get power. same thing again 1 click. switch off 2-minuets back on same thing. after about the 8th time it fired up. volt gauge looks normal so down the road i go. about three miles lose all power. slow from 55 to about 20 all the sudden power back on. continue about 1 mile lose all power again. pull over. switch off wait 2-minuets turn on ignition power on hit start 1-click power lost. continue doing this about 12-15 times it fires up everything looks good head back out. 2-miles all power is lost. same thing about 4-times fires up make it home. any ideas THANKS!!!

Bad connection on the battery or other end of the cables would be my guess.

Remove and clean neg off first and on last.

If you have a security system, turn on the ignition and remove the MAXI fuse for the system to eliminate it sounding.

Sure sounds like a bad connection or failing battery

hit start 1 click. same thing again 1 click. switch off

2-minuets back on same thing. after about the 8th time it fired up.

lose all power again.

"All power" as in dash lights, headlight etc goes OUT.. Bike acts just as if you turned the ignition key off.

You say "same thing again 1 click. switch off 2-minuets back on same thing. after about the 8th time it fired up."
Question,, when you hear the 1 click, and it repeats over & over,, does the headlight remain On and bright during this time?

Is the error log free of any stored DTC codes.

After what Hoop posted, it could also be the ignition switch contacts giving you the problem.

tjg45 The 06 had a recall on the key/start/lock. Has this been replaed?
Don't remember what the issue was but it could be part of the problem if it was not replaced on your bike. Good luck.
Dave

ok glider and guys. just put a new battery in the bike and same thing. next bypassed switch same thing but did notice after hitting the start button and getting one click to the starter the ECM starts clicking rapidly for about 30-seconds then stops and then you here the fuel pump engauge. truely stumped

The switch problem was a Product Program that concerned the steering lock breaking,for some reason they'd started fitting the International switch to domestic models.The replacement was a domestic only -06 part number.

These symptoms sound like the main circuit breaker going bad on the older models,when it got old it just tripped out at random.
I don't think the 06 used a circuit breaker,but is there a main power relay that could do the same thing.I know the starter relay can have a few odd moments before packing up all together.

As above,the Product Program concerned a mechanical,no electrical problem.
This is a link to the Bulletin that I messed up in the last post.

2006 Touring Lock Problems - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
still need help

since my last post here is what i have done. Replaced battery cables. checked all fuses and relays. ohm wire fro starter to maxi fuse and fro maxi fues to switch. also from switch to ecm. everything good. new battery as i said on last post. here is what happens now. switch on full power to lites gauges and everything. hit start on click at starter lose ALL POWER lites everything. touch nothing else and in 2-3 seconds ecm starts rapidly clicking and at same time power slowly comes back on. what i mean is when ecm starts clicking lites and gauges start out dim and slowly return to full power and then ecm stops clicking. any ideas THANKS!

Back