free website stats program Need Help on a Nagging Cruise Control Problem Please | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Help on a Nagging Cruise Control Problem Please

Thanks Jeff; I saw your earlier post indicating you replaced the module. That may very well be where I wind up, but I just want to exhaust all the simpler possibilities before I make that jump.;)
Thanks!

Can't blame you, dealer gets $400.00 + for a new CC module.
I'm perfectly happy with the used one I purchased off ebay.

Good luck.

Easiest way to check all dropout fucntions of your cruise control.

1. bike off, run/stop to run
2. push set/resume to set and hold.
3 with cruise on/off switch to on, turn on bike
4. cruise indicator light should be green, release set switch, light should turn red.
5. push to resume and release, light should turn green then red
6. push throttle closed and release, light should turn green then red
7. push rear brake pedal and release, light should turn green then red
8. pull front brake lever, light should turn green then red
9. on models with a clutch/neutral starter lockout, pull clutch lever, light should turn green then red

whichever switch does not turn the light green, is your bad one.

if light will not turn green at all and you have followed ALL directions and tried multiple times, your set/resume switch is bad.

If light stays green even after releasing set switch, one of the dropout switches is stuck closed, usually the roll off throttle switch. unplug this and try again.

make sure brake light will not turn on without using brakes (wobbly brake lever, stuck rear brake light switch etc.) Try this

Well with the expert help available from all the great folks here, I got it working.
Turns out the resume and set switches checked out fine.
The culprit turns out to be the rolloff switch, which I had been led to believe was open circuit, completely non-functional. Well it actually intermittently closes, and if closed it defeats setting the cruise.
I have a new rolloff cable to install soon, but for now I just disconnected the switch.
In the process of checking other thing like the brake switches, I discovered the rear brake switch is U/S. It remains open, so no rear brake lights. Oh well, off the dealer again! Really do need that working!! ;)
Thanks all, especially Jeff K and Pete.

Thanks for posting your fix here and thanking the members that helped you. So many times the OP gets the fix they were looking for and never posts it back to help others.

Back