free website stats program Need Help on a Nagging Cruise Control Problem Please | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Help on a Nagging Cruise Control Problem Please

Rod Stewart

2007 FLHRCI
Had it to the local dealer in Florida about 1-1/2 years ago. $250 later they said they replaced the Set switch, and it also needed a new decel throttle cable because the switch in the cable was U/S. They ordered in the cable, and in the meantime the cruise worked for about a week or so, then quit aqain. Then we were moving so I just picked up the new decal cable from the dealer; it has not been installed.
Fast forward to now in Arizona: I used the diagnostics in the self help section to see if I could land on the issue, but the cruise enabled lamp won't do the flash 3 times bit, though it does light up orange OK. It's like the set switch is shot again, but I am not sure how this is possible.
Anyone any ideas? I am thinking to trace the connections to the main module 10 pin plug, and see if the set switch actuates. I have the manual and the wiring diags.
Another question: how hard is it to change out the decel cable myself? The nearest dealer here is 50 miles away and I frankly don't trust them.
Rod

I had an intermittent issue with mine last year. Sometimes it would set but most of the time it would not.
I ended up buying a used cruise control module off ebay, problem solved.

Although I have not worked on cruise controls personally, I know of several people of moderate mech. skill that have installed them on '07's and said it was not difficult. Having a service manual will make things a lot easier. Are you positive that neither brake switch is activated, and keeping the cruise from enabling?
ADD: I just read the '07 C.C. diagnostics and saw nothing about the c.c. light flashing 3 times when enabled, it just illuminates orange. What you refer to as "decel cable" is the ribbon cable? or roll off switch just in front of fuel tank,right side?

Last edited:
Although I have not worked on cruise controls personally, I know of several people of moderate mech. skill that have installed them on '07's and said it was not difficult. Having a service manual will make things a lot easier. Are you positive that neither brake switch is activated, and keeping the cruise from enabling?
ADD: I just read the '07 C.C. diagnostics and saw nothing about the c.c. light flashing 3 times when enabled, it just illuminates orange. What you refer to as "decel cable" is the ribbon cable? or roll off switch just in front of fuel tank,right side?

Thanks for your help. I am pretty sure the brake switches are not on, but I'll re-check that.
I was referring to the generic procedure listed in the forum self help section, as follows:
"Engine OFF, cruise switch OFF
Push cruise set/resume switch to SET and HOLD it there while switching to IGNITION (do NOT start engine)
RELEASE the set/resume switch and watch the cruise enabled lamp....it will flash out 3 digits encoded as a series of pulses in the following pattern >>> the first digit is string of 1/4 second flashes, .............."

I get no flashes at all, nothing from the cruise enabled lamp.
Maybe the '07 procedure is different, I will check it.
The roll off cable and switch is what I was referring to. The switch on mine is U/S, but the tech at the previous dealer indicated that the CC would function without it. And it did, for about a week, then nothing.

OK just had a look at my service manual, and cannot find the CC diagnostic procedure anywhere. There must be a specific diagnostic manual where it is detailed I guess.
Breeze3at; can you link me to the '07 CC diagnostic procedure you checked please?
Thanks,

Sorry, I didn't mention the cc diagnostics were in the Electrical Service manual. I'll try and attach it here. Sorry, "file too large" error.
I'll try to find a work a round.

If you have a mail account that will accept a 63KB attachment, I can send it to you. It is in "word" doc., all charts and photos are gone, but it's got the information. PM me an address.

Rod,
Mine acted the same way you explained in your thread. I tested for power at the plug that plugs into the module and it tested good. My issue was a bad module, replaced it with a used one off ebay and the problem was solved.
After installing the new module I used the procedure you mentioned in post #4 and everything checked out fine.
Mine is a 05 but I believe the procedure will be the same for a 07.

Rod,
Mine acted the same way you explained in your thread. I tested for power at the plug that plugs into the module and it tested good. My issue was a bad module, replaced it with a used one off ebay and the problem was solved.
After installing the new module I used the procedure you mentioned in post #4 and everything checked out fine.
Mine is a 05 but I believe the procedure will be the same for a 07.
Thanks Jeff; I saw your earlier post indicating you replaced the module. That may very well be where I wind up, but I just want to exhaust all the simpler possibilities before I make that jump.;)
Thanks!

Back