free website stats program Need expert opinion | Harley Davidson Forums

Need expert opinion

stevec314

A guy I work with just bought a new 09 Heritage softail classic. I am going to try to post a picture. The rear fender is " out of whack" He had it in the shop for a week and they tightned the fender strut but it still looked like this. He is going to call the GM today. What do you all think is going on here? He also said all of the 2009 on the showroom look like this. What do you all think?

Attachments

• IMG_sm4777.jpg
    IMG_sm4777.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 132
Hard to tell from that picture. There was a similar thread to this awhile ago but I think it dealt with a handlebar issue. When you say all the bikes in the showroom looked like this, did you mean all the bikes at that particular dealer? Probably all assembled by the same person. Do the same models at different dealers look like this? If so then it's a "fleet wide" problem and not just something going on at that one dealership.

I am not an expert... but if Harley is willing to accept this as normal or as designed they have lost their minds... looks bad. What I find most irresponsible is the guys in the shop thinking it's okay. Whats the dealer's name, 'cause I would like to avoid them.

I'm with MOBEAR, that is crazy. I would go to a different dealer. Was it like that when he bought it?

Don't know if it's the fender or the wheel in th pic. They both seem to be out of line in opposite directions. Hard to tell from the pic with the bike on the stand.

Rear Fender Alignment - Harley Davidson Community
May be an opticul illusion, but it looks like the Drive Belt is outta wack too. Almost looks like the wheel and tire aren't straight on the swing arm. Check the side to side measurment at the center of the rear axel bolt to end of swing arm. Left and right should be within 1-2 mm's of the same distance or spot on.

Hobbit, If it is a wheel spacer would that not affect the allighnment of the belt? The belt is inline.

Don't know if it's the fender or the wheel in th pic. They both seem to be out of line in opposite directions. Hard to tell from the pic with the bike on the stand.

Rear Fender Alignment - Harley Davidson Community

In the hyperlink above Post #20 IOOF fixed the problem by removing a lot of parts, finding out that many of them have assembly "clearances" which add up if each is not installed straight and true. :s

Back