My First Harley

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by cvlngineer, Aug 14, 2012.

1. cvlngineer

cvlngineer New Member

I am a new member, and the proud owner of my first HD. It is a 2009 Heritage Softail Classic, with 4000 miles on it. I traded in my Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter 1500, and couldn't be happier! I really liked the Drifter, but the ride and handling does not even compare with my Harley.

uploadfromtaptalk1344969756495.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1344969816369.jpg

Now, I just need to get some different pipes. These are not quite loud enough. I want something with a low, deep rumble.

2. Rubyred

Rubyred Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. Very nice bike. I have Vance & Hines slip-ons on my Heritage and they are just right. Of course I also have a TFI Gen3 and a K&N air filter. You may want to look into some bag stiffeners to make them look like new again.

3. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

That is a good looking bike :bigsmiley12:

Brian

4. 2upto18wheels

2upto18wheels New Member

Welcome to the site. I just traded my Kawasaki Nomad last month for an '09 Ultra Classic. Like you I was very impressed with the new-to-me HD. Ride safe!

5. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Welcome to the site. Nice looking bike! I hope RWB comes along and reads this.....:D

6. cvlngineer

cvlngineer New Member

Thanks everyone.

I was wondering what I could do about the bag on the right side. The other one looks okay. I used some saddle soap on them this weekend, put some mink oil on them and stuffed the right bag full of blankets and towels, but it doesn't look like it is doing any good. I haven't heard of bag stiffeners. How do they work?

7. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

8. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Welcome to the Harley family, you'll learn a lot on the forum.:bigsmiley23:

9. 173ABN

173ABN Active Member

Welcome to the forum Nice bike for your first harley Vance and hines pipes and Bodeen got ya covered on the bags,, the right one always is the first to go due to the pipes.
    Ride Safe My Friend

10. cvlngineer

cvlngineer New Member

Thanks for all the kind words and info. I have another question. There was no owner's manual with the bike, but the dealership is ordering one for me. From what I understand, the minimum octane rating for fuel in this bike is 91, so that means premium unleaded. Is this what everyone is running, or does it matter that much?