free website stats program Moving to Virginia from the UK | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Moving to Virginia from the UK

I moved to the States from the UK 22 years ago, and would never live in the UK again. You have one up on me though, i'm in Illinois (cold, snowy winters). Good luck with the move, and if i ever ride out your way i'll let you know.

If you get the opportunity, the best way to see how big this place is to ride around it! I met two guys from Australia last year in Cooke City near Yellowstone. They had come over to San Diego for a 4 day vacation, ended up renting Harleys. When I met them they were on day 30 and had been across the lower end of the nation, up the eastern sea board, and across the north...

I'm moving to Virginia from the UK and bringing my Road King with me. Anyone got any tips for dealers, HOG Chapters etc, I wanna be riding loads?

I can't speak to dealerships or chapters, but you are in a great location for riding. The heat can be impressive in the summer time and you will see a tremendous amount of sunshine. I worked in the UK for a time (Salisbury and London) and I was always impressed about the number of sunburns I saw after one day of sunshine.

In generaly the east coast in that area is flat, but as others have stated, if you head a little west (3-5 hours ride) you will be in the rolling hills and mountains. Completely different worlds. Back roads, twistys, motorways: you have access to a tremendous variety.

For me, the western portions of North Carolina and Virginia are spectacular.
Once you adapt to driving on the wrong side of the road :D you are going to have a blast!

You're gonna love it!! Beautiful area. Virginia beach is nice but the further out you get the better it is. You also get the benefit of being near the North Coarolina border and can enjoy some of the best roads in that state too!You'll want to check out Southside Harley in Virginia Beach for dealer closest to you and they were always great to deal with. Bayside Harley can be hit and miss to deal with, not at the top of my list. I lived not far away in Suffolk, VA until last year, now I'm back in California but I sure wish I was back in VA. IF you want some info on some great riding just send me a PM anytime and I'll point you in the right direction. You'll meet great people to ride with, I know I did! :bigsmiley23:

Welcome Jezbo. VA Beach is in SE corner of state and I'm NW corner of state, 5 hours away.
I'm no help for down at the beach, but if you ever want to come hit the hills, let me know.

JEZBO - I'm about 45 Miles from Va Beach and have lived and worked in the area for years. Great riding and quite a few dealers in the area. I can give specific mention to the following:

Hampton Roads Harley-Davidson, Inc. Virginia Dealer. Serving, Yorktown, Va Beach,Portsmouth,Norfolk, Chesapeake and other Virginia cities.

This is a family owned business that has 4 dealerships in the Tidewater area (that's what they this area that encompasses several cities/communities). Two of the stores are in the Va Beach area. I just bought my wife's second Harley from them.

Tons of good riding and you can ride most of the year. Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

Heaps of great advice and encouragement

I moved to the States from the UK 22 years ago, and would never live in the UK again. You have one up on me though, i'm in Illinois (cold, snowy winters). Good luck with the move, and if i ever ride out your way i'll let you know.

Thanks Wolfenblade, I may well make it to Illinois as I have family there. I use to work in Decatur about 20 years ago, remember the cold well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used Bayside HD in Portsmouth several times. Always treated me very well. Right down the road from VA Beach. Welcome to the USA!

You all sound so enthusiastic can't wait to get out there. I will be in Virginia Beach.

Coastal plains, high humidity, lots of tourist (driving on the wrong side of the road in YOUR view point). Quite a few military bases so there's always a lot of "out of towners" driving on unfamilar roads.

You'll enjoy the area.... there's the (North Carolina) OBX bike week. The Blue Ridge parkway is not far, but would take the better part of a day, so you might want a long week end to enjoy it.

I believe there is an active Southern Cruisers Riding Club chapter in that area.
Can't help you with dealerships, ot HOG, but as with ANY club/chapter, you'll be better off visiting with several, and then deciding which suits YOU.

Don't overlook the dealerships south of you in NC

Back