free website stats program More on Bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

More on Bearings

mc2

Contributor
Well,,,, the SKF bearings in the front wheel of my 08 fat boy seem to be holding up well.
Received my long awaited box of parts today and went right to work to change the rear sprocket (I'll post on that separately). Checking the rear wheel bearings I find them very difficult to turn. Like I got to really pressure two fingers in the hole just to turn them a little. The same on both side. Although I feel nothing like damage inside. Just difficult to turn, when the new HD bearings I received in the box turn very easily, as do the SKF bearings.

Now as they are pressed in tight to the spacer, when I turn one, the one on the other side turns also (for what that info is worth). As it is my evening here, and your day is about to start, I would look forward to any comments or info before banging these out tomorrow. Actually I pay these guys in a shop about $4 to do for me!
Thanks.

ChinaMike,

I am sure that you know this, but make sure that the people in the shop press the new bearings into the hub using a full diameter adapter rather then putting any load on the inside diameter or tapping the bearing in with a punch around the perimeter.

TQ

TQ
Yeah, I made my own bearing insertion tool. A large diameter long bolt with properly sized washers worked slick as snot on the front bearings.
But thanks for the mention, I know some would be quick to lay a big hammer to them and think nothing of it.

I got nothing on if both bearings spin or not, but I have an 08 Ultra that I think after 45K miles my front bearings may be shot. I want to change them myself. Do they bang out easily. The service manual insists you use a puller.I have access to a press so going in shouldn't be a problem.

I bought a bearing remover on eBay for $20. I found that a little heat on the outside hub around the bearing worked great with the bearing tool. I used a 1/2" threaded rod and the old bearings to install the new bearings.
kemo

What does this bearing remover tool look like. Is it similar to a "blind hole" bearing puller? If so $20 is cheap. Slide hammer or bridge style.

I wish that I had a picture. There is a plug with a shoulder that you put into the bearing. You drive a tapered driver into the plug that spreads the shoulders and then you drive the bearing out. I found that a little heat around the hub and it works like a hot knife in butter. You can find them on eBay a lot of places selling them. Not as good as the Harley bearing tool but for the money it works.
kemo

I know exactly what you mean. That's a blind hole puller. Perfect tool for that job. Tks!

Back