free website stats program More on Bearings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

More on Bearings

NewHD,, Looking at that HD tool it would seem these bearings are a monster to get out and re-install. I mean the genuine Tool has a ball bearing of it's own on the pressure screw to reduce the driving force necessary to get the bearings in.

I never have performed the job. Are they That tight to get out & in?

They can be a bear, if you pardon the pun. That is why they ask you to use torque wrench and then heat, but not overheat the parts. Using a regular press without heat and the bearing sticks a bit, you can gall the bore or worse crack the hub.

They are tight once you get um moving not to bad. I made a pulled out of a blind hole bearing kit from harbor freight it was a slap hammer set up which would move the bearings so I welded a threaded rod to the collar the adapters for the bearings thread into use a section of PVC and a PVC cap drilled a hole in cap for the rod put couple
Nuts on top of cap and had a no mar pulled works great on wheel bearings.

Change the bearing adapter and size of PVC and instant cam bearing puller Worked great for that also think it cost 40$ to make up
WAP.gif

Saw this post back at the top again and though I would share the rest of the story.

Rear bearings could not be knocked out like the front ones (and we were lucky to knock them out without damage). So speaking very little vietnames I reverted to sign language and pictures to push them to think. Finally the boss has an idea, similar to the Blind Punch mentioned earlier.
He cuts one end of a 3 inch piece of thin pipe, diameter to fit into the bearing.
Inserts a 4 inch piece of threaded stock.
Grinds a nut down to a cone shape and threads onto the cross cut end.
Puts a regular bold on the other end, inserts and tightens. Tapped it out easliy.

This was a one time use tool. So I asked him to make me one go.
He got better at it.
Ground down the head of a large bolt to a cone.
Slid over a cross cut collar off of something.
Put a regular nut on other end, and behind the nut ground two flat spots on the end of the bolt to hold it while tightening.
Nifty little tool to throw in the saddlebag.
Paid the guy $5 and he was as happy as I was.
Hope it is a long time before I use it.

They are tight once you get um moving not to bad. I made a pulled out of a blind hole bearing kit from harbor freight it was a slap hammer set up which would move the bearings so I welded a threaded rod to the collar the adapters for the bearings thread into use a section of PVC and a PVC cap drilled a hole in cap for the rod put couple
Nuts on top of cap and had a no mar pulled works great on wheel bearings.

Change the bearing adapter and size of PVC and instant cam bearing puller Worked great for that also think it cost 40$ to make up
WAP.gif

Bud, Are you saying that the slide hammer would or would NOT take out the 1st bearing on a wheel hub? (that is being used as a slide hammer)

Back