free website stats program Mobil 1 75/90 Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mobil 1 75/90 Question

With transmissions (manual) in just about any vehicle, they are concerned with shear strength of the oil. Rough translation, shearing the molecules of the oil. Kind of like shearing a blot in half but not quite.

Motor oils do not have the shear strength of gear oil.

The reason manufacturer's in the auto industry have gone to lower viscosities has to do with fuel economy ratings; a less viscous fluid requires less power to pump, therefore reducing parasitic power loss. They have been able to do this without sacrificing durability due to the many advances in materials, lubricants, and manufacturing tolerances over the past 30+ years. Modern engines running 5w20 will easily outlast the old iron running "heavier" oils. Think about it; we changed oil in our cars every 2000 miles in the old days, and 100,000 miles was pretty much the top end of the useful life scale (many engines needed major work long before that). Current automotive engines blow right past that 100,000 mile mark with 5,000 to 7,500 mile oil changes and very little else in terms of maintenance (change spark plugs one time, air filters every 20,000 or so).

From my understanding and talking to people who deal with oil for a living, Harley has built and designed there motors,primary and transmissions to run on 20w-50 weight oils. (Hence syn3 in all 3 holes).Although I would never use it in my bike.(Mobile1 instead) Running a heavier oil in anything that was not designed for just creates more heat. Old school thinking was motor oil in motor and gear oil in transmission. But motors and transmission are all changing. Motor oils in your own cars are now thinner(0w-20,5w-20,5w-30). Metals and designs are different than years ago and cars are lasting longer than ever before. I'm not an engineer by any means, but I am sure Harley knows what they are doing. If we did not believe it we would not be riding the BEST (EDIT) MOTORCYCLE in the world. IMO

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

I was not offended, I work construction and here worse than that! I don't understand people that get offended by certain words, maybe if they were being said to that person, but we all say them, I don't care who ya are. But hey that is my 2 cents, I here it all at work so I don't get offended.

Yes it's interresting from here to see the avoidance of words lile (EDIT) and in the same time allowing people to watch actions movies rated "all public" with murders (gun, knife, swords, poison, ...), sex scenes, violence, perversions, blood, mental assaults, rape, explosions, betrayal, ... But anyway, let's respect the rules ...
Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back