free website stats program Metzler tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Metzler tires

dlingle61

I put a new set of metzler ME880 tires on my 08 Classic. After about 2000 miles I get a wobble in frontend. Checked air psi still at 40, checked ballance its still good. With the dunlop on I could turn loose of the bars and it road straight as a arrow if I try it now it will start to tankslap. Starts at about 35 mph. So at the moment I am not to happy with the ME880

With the dunlop on I could turn loose of the bars and it road straight as a arrow

The same should be true with the Metzler. I have same question as TripleJ,,, how was balance verified. (you or dealership/Indy) Jack the front end up & using a putty knife push the caliper pistons in a bit. Spin the wheel, check bearings as you run your hand over the tire. Feel for lumps or broken belts.

Tankslap? Front tire would have to be beyond bad along with bearings. Laced wheel or cast/machined

I have my own static balancer. Think I will put the dunlop back on and see if it takes the wobble out. Just have heard good things about Metzler but with a recall and what I have happening will have to see

I have my own static balancer. Think I will put the dunlop back on and see if it takes the wobble out. Just have heard good things about Metzler but with a recall and what I have happening will have to see

Only problem with a static balancer is it only detects imbalance as far as up and down imbalance or "hop" is concerned and does not detect side to side imbalance. Usually because a motorcycle tire and wheel assembly is not very wide a static balancer does a fairly good job. The wider an assembly is the more important it is to use a dynamic (dual plane) balancer. Not saying that is your problem but a dynamic balancer may show problems not detected by the static balancer.

i love the metzlers on my road king. 20k on the front, 3rd rear because of flats. run about 2-3 lbs. over harley specs. 38-39 front and 42-43 rear. great tires. thinking about replacing the 407 and 408f on the ultra w/ metzlers. price is better as well.

Back