free website stats program MATCO Motorcycle Lifts? | Harley Davidson Forums

MATCO Motorcycle Lifts?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with the 1500 pound capacity MATCO motorcycle lift?

Website shows retail price of $220 and a guy near me is selling a used one with an extended handle (?) and straps - asking $200.

I've done a couple searches and I see most folks seem to use Sears, J&S, or Pit Bull. Just wondering if the MATCO is in the same league as those for the money.

I wouldn't put the matco lift in the same category as the pit bull. That's an excellent lift (pit bull). The sears has been taking a bad rap lately and the J&S is a pretty good unit.

The Matco is about the mid range in lifts.

i would have to say it's overpriced... looks like a similar lift harbor freight sells - minus the straps - for a quarter of the price...

I have a Sears lift and it lifts the bike ok but you have to lock it or it will bleed down.It has done this since it was new. I had the back wheel off to replace the stock tire and rim with a solid chrome . I took the sprocket and rotor off the old rim and took them along with my new rim to my local dealer to get a new tire put on the new rim and have it balanced. I forgot to lock the lift before I left . By the time I got back the lift had dropped enough that the rear of the bike was on the floor. When I walked into the garage I almost panicked :panic.The bike was leaning hard to one side because the kickstand was down. It looked like another few minutes and the bike would have toppled over. Am I glad I got home when I did. My advice is to spend the exrta scratch and get a good one.

Like Tigg said, the sears lifts have had a problem with the jacks bleeding down for a while now. Some people got the jacks replaced but the new ones did the same thing.

Geez, I just keep finding this stuff.....We started with the light weight lift from Harbor Freight, ($160), he didn't care for the looks of it after he saw the one at Sears for $10 more, so, since the Sears lift is still in the box, should we look at one of the others, or, as long as we lock the lift, (I will probably feel better knowing it is locked in place anyway) would the one we have be sufficient. The lift will not be for the big jobs since we will have a table lift delivered next week, but, I'm thinking that if we have to take the wheels off the bike, the lift will be the better choice for that job huh? :D:eam

Joy

It all comes down to how they are made and the size of the lift arms as mentioned above. The top of the link is the pit bull but it runs a bit more than the rest. If you are getting the lower priced lifts, take notice of the bolts in them. Quite often they are of poor quality and I feel safer replacing them with grade 8 bolts just for safety reasons. The upgrade will run about $32 for the grade 8 but worth it should one fail of the lesser grade bolts IMO.

Joy

It all comes down to how they are made and the size of the lift arms as mentioned above. The top of the link is the pit bull but it runs a bit more than the rest. If you are getting the lower priced lifts, take notice of the bolts in them. Quite often they are of poor quality and I feel safer replacing them with grade 8 bolts just for safety reasons. The upgrade will run about $32 for the grade 8 but worth it should one fail of the lesser grade bolts IMO.
Thanks Glider....as usual you save us again. I'll put him on it!

Geez, I just keep finding this stuff.....We started with the light weight lift from Harbor Freight, ($160), he didn't care for the looks of it after he saw the one at Sears for $10 more, so, since the Sears lift is still in the box, should we look at one of the others, or, as long as we lock the lift, (I will probably feel better knowing it is locked in place anyway) would the one we have be sufficient. The lift will not be for the big jobs since we will have a table lift delivered next week, but, I'm thinking that if we have to take the wheels off the bike, the lift will be the better choice for that job huh? :D:eam

What in the world are you talking about? Are you referring to another thread I'm unaware of? I didn't say any of that stuff - just asked for input on the MATCO lift.

What in the world are you talking about? Are you referring to another thread I'm unaware of? I didn't say any of that stuff - just asked for input on the MATCO lift.
Sorry Doc, I was referring to basically more information........since my husband had just bought the one lift, and didn't care for it and returned it recently, I found it fun to find the thread you posted. No offense meant here, just more questions I get to ask the hubby at the table. :)

Back