free website stats program Loud whining noise in '02 TC88 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud whining noise in '02 TC88

I have a '02 FXDWG with 43K miles. I recently developed a loud whining noise that appears to come from the stator area but if you move to the right side it sounds like it comes from the cam chest. I rode about 5 miles after I noticed it. The performance hasn't been effected. I've had a stator go bad but it never made a sound. I've been reading a lot of forum trying to pin point an area to start looking for the problem. Could it be a cam bearing, oil pump, stator.

I have a '02 FXDWG with 43K miles. I recently developed a loud whining noise that appears to come from the stator area but if you move to the right side it sounds like it comes from the cam chest. I rode about 5 miles after I noticed it. The performance hasn't been effected. I've had a stator go bad but it never made a sound. I've been reading a lot of forum trying to pin point an area to start looking for the problem. Could it be a cam bearing, oil pump, stator.

You need to check your cam chain tensioners ASAP

You could also get a whining noise if the primary chain is too tight

Brian

HDDon you were right on. The shoe fell out in 4 pieces when I pulled the cover. How difficult is it to change the tensioners without fancy tools?

Looks like Glider has you covered. I don't know how hard they are to change out, I replaced mine with S&S gear drive and Andrews cams

HDDon if i could ask you a question since this thread is done - or anyone else for that matter. I just had S&S 509 gear cams installed on a 2002 88 FXDL. the bike runs nice, however i do not get the engine braking on decell that i used to. I am thinking the guy fooled with the carb and the slid is not coming down as fast, but I am not sure. I do not thing the cam would cause this. Do you agree?

Back