Loud whining noise in '02 TC88

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by hdhogpilot, May 6, 2011.

1. hdhogpilot

hdhogpilot Member

I have a '02 FXDWG with 43K miles. I recently developed a loud whining noise that appears to come from the stator area but if you move to the right side it sounds like it comes from the cam chest. I rode about 5 miles after I noticed it. The performance hasn't been effected. I've had a stator go bad but it never made a sound. I've been reading a lot of forum trying to pin point an area to start looking for the problem. Could it be a cam bearing, oil pump, stator.

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

You need to check your cam chain tensioners ASAP

3. JBC2565

JBC2565 Junior Member

4. hdhogpilot

hdhogpilot Member

Thanks guys. I'll start with the cam chain tensioner and let know you what I find.

5. HDDon

Be sure to check back in and let us know.

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

You could also get a whining noise if the primary chain is too tight

Brian

7. hdhogpilot

hdhogpilot Member

HDDon you were right on. The shoe fell out in 4 pieces when I pulled the cover. How difficult is it to change the tensioners without fancy tools?

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

9. HDDon

Looks like Glider has you covered. I don't know how hard they are to change out, I replaced mine with S&S gear drive and Andrews cams

10. Zippster

Zippster Member

HDDon if i could ask you a question since this thread is done - or anyone else for that matter. I just had S&S 509 gear cams installed on a 2002 88 FXDL. the bike runs nice, however i do not get the engine braking on decell that i used to. I am thinking the guy fooled with the carb and the slid is not coming down as fast, but I am not sure. I do not thing the cam would cause this. Do you agree?