free website stats program Loud whining noise in '02 TC88 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud whining noise in '02 TC88

HDDon if i could ask you a question since this thread is done - or anyone else for that matter. I just had S&S 509 gear cams installed on a 2002 88 FXDL. the bike runs nice, however i do not get the engine braking on decell that i used to. I am thinking the guy fooled with the carb and the slid is not coming down as fast, but I am not sure. I do not thing the cam would cause this. Do you agree?
It is possible that your cams are not properly timed, or your pushrods are not properly set, so that your valves are not fully closed when they should be. Engine braking depends on full pressure during your compression stroke. I would do a compression test and see what you have. Such an issue would result in significantly less than optimal performance.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I'm not familiar with this cam but I doubt the cam would cause the problem as I understand it. Are you saying that when you chop the throttle the engine continues to stay at the same RPM for a moment and than backs down? If the carb was opened and the diaphram and spring removed did your mech. raise or lower the needle? If it was opened and the diaphram was not seated properly or pinched the slide will not raise or fall correctly, but you would see this on both sides, either adding throttle or backing down. Since you went with a fairly high lift cam your mech. may not have gotten the low speed or main jet just right. It could also be that the throttle cables are binding, take the air cleaner off and see if when you let go of the throttle the slide snaps down.

Back