free website stats program looking for performance exhaust | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

looking for performance exhaust

Rejetting is part of tuning a carbed bike and I tune mine on a dyno. If a compression boost is part of the upgrade, a programmable ignition would also be a good idea so timing can be adjusted as well. In your situation, i.e., a Stage 2 upgrade (exhaust, intake and cam) if the cam is a mild cam, you may get by with re-tuning the carb. I get as close as I can by the seat of the pants then put the bike on a dyno and check AFR at idle, partial throttle and WOT. Tuning will usually involve a larger main jet (WOT) and raising or lowering the needle (partial throttle). It usually takes 3-5 pulls on the dyno to get the tune spot on but it does depend on how close I got with the seat of the pants tune.;)I would also advise against aftermarket parts for the CV carb except for the lighter slide spring and replacing the idle A/F needle/screw with the larger knurled new from CV Performance.

There are some pipe comparisons done by independent tuners but anything you see from a vendor is likely biased and misleading. I can tell you that the Bassani Pro Street 2:2 (must have the stepped head pipe) and the Rinehart Crossback 2:2 both look and sound good and perform as well. I always preferred the sound of a 2:2 system over a 2:1; more bass, better rumble and the harmonics at cruise is not annoying. The D&D Fatcat is always a good choice for a 2:1 system as is the early V&H Propipe, with the megaphone muffler. I have heard good reports on the Rinehart 2:1 but have no personal experience with that pipe. The newest Bassani stainless 2:1 is also getting some good press.
Thanks for taking the time to type all of that. those were the exact things i needed to know.i dont really want a 2 into 1 exhaust. i am really trying to do my homework because this exhaust is so hi and i dont want to make a mistake and get something i dont like.

Back