free website stats program looking for performance exhaust | Harley Davidson Forums

looking for performance exhaust

hey guys I need some opinons on exhaust for my 02 fxdl lowrider. when i bought it I thought it had pretty low miles on it. motor sure seems to be strong. i put a nice breather on it and would like to put another exhaust system on it but really having trouble figuring out what I want. Is there any of you experianced guys that might know from experiance on what pipe would give me the best performance or if not maybe a place i might can read about it?20170626_155847 (1).jpg

Are you running a fuel management system? adding more air and a exhaust change is going to lean an already lean engine even more.

Does the bike have a carb. or injection? If you are going to keep the motor relatively stock, any system you put on will be mostly for sound. Stock Dyna head pipes flow fairly well, so slip on's only will save you $$. If you intend on doing engine mods, two into one systems usually produce better power. Stay away from straight pipes, all they are good for is loud. Find out where Harley riders congregate, and check out the sound, looks and opinion from people that have different exhausts. Note; Most bike owners think the pipes they have are the best. Usually because they spent a lot of money.

Are you running a fuel management system? adding more air and a exhaust change is going to lean an already lean engine even more.
My bike has a carb. I just built it when I bought it, right now it is stock when i changed the breather out and ran it I pulled the plugs and they looked good my plan was after exhaust I would go back and re jet it. Then maybe a cam at same time as pipe.

Does the bike have a carb. or injection? If you are going to keep the motor relatively stock, any system you put on will be mostly for sound. Stock Dyna head pipes flow fairly well, so slip on's only will save you $$. If you intend on doing engine mods, two into one systems usually produce better power. Stay away from straight pipes, all they are good for is loud. Find out where Harley riders congregate, and check out the sound, looks and opinion from people that have different exhausts. Note; Most bike owners think the pipes they have are the best. Usually because they spent a lot of money.
bike does have carb. and I will more than likely put a mild cam in it. I have heard about the bassani 2 into one is a good one but i am still trying to grasp the two into one look. I know I dont like the long bassani but they do make a shorter one that looks a little better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP will have to choose between looks and performance. There are some 2:2 systems that perform as well as most 2:1 systems like the Bassani Pro Streets or the Rinehart Crossbacks. A poor pipe selection can downgrade performance; might look and sound great but show a loss of low end torque.:eek:

If a cam is part of the upgrade, a tuner and tune will be required to optimize performance.;)

Rinehart true duals with fish-tails would really set the looks on that ride. (just be sure you have enough of a long ramp to back off if you ever trailer it).

The OP will have to choose between looks and performance. There are some 2:2 systems that perform as well as most 2:1 systems like the Bassani Pro Streets or the Rinehart Crossbacks. A poor pipe selection can downgrade performance; might look and sound great but show a loss of low end torque.:eek:

If a cam is part of the upgrade, a tuner and tune will be required to optimize performance.;)
Thanks dolt for the reply. can you please go further on what you mean about a tuner and tune? I understand about rejetting carb. but what does it need from there? also is there a place I can go to read about how much one pipe will perform against others?

Thanks dolt for the reply. can you please go further on what you mean about a tuner and tune? I understand about rejetting carb. but what does it need from there? also is there a place I can go to read about how much one pipe will perform against others?

Rejetting is part of tuning a carbed bike and I tune mine on a dyno. If a compression boost is part of the upgrade, a programmable ignition would also be a good idea so timing can be adjusted as well. In your situation, i.e., a Stage 2 upgrade (exhaust, intake and cam) if the cam is a mild cam, you may get by with re-tuning the carb. I get as close as I can by the seat of the pants then put the bike on a dyno and check AFR at idle, partial throttle and WOT. Tuning will usually involve a larger main jet (WOT) and raising or lowering the needle (partial throttle). It usually takes 3-5 pulls on the dyno to get the tune spot on but it does depend on how close I got with the seat of the pants tune.;)I would also advise against aftermarket parts for the CV carb except for the lighter slide spring and replacing the idle A/F needle/screw with the larger knurled new from CV Performance.

There are some pipe comparisons done by independent tuners but anything you see from a vendor is likely biased and misleading. I can tell you that the Bassani Pro Street 2:2 (must have the stepped head pipe) and the Rinehart Crossback 2:2 both look and sound good and perform as well. I always preferred the sound of a 2:2 system over a 2:1; more bass, better rumble and the harmonics at cruise is not annoying. The D&D Fatcat is always a good choice for a 2:1 system as is the early V&H Propipe, with the megaphone muffler. I have heard good reports on the Rinehart 2:1 but have no personal experience with that pipe. The newest Bassani stainless 2:1 is also getting some good press.

Back