free website stats program Lifting a Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

Lifting a Road King

Grey Sailor

Howdy!

When reading some of the stories regarding bikes being unstable on motorcycle jacks, and my own feeling that the jack will always be in my way when working on the bike...I got to thinkin' (wife says that always precedes an embarrassing event!). I have an overhead electric hoist rated at 4 tons in my shop. Does anyone lift their bike using 4 nylon slings to the handlebars and rear crash bars? Seems like it would be safer than balancing on a floor jack.

IMO the handle bars would pull upright in their mounts and the crashbars would bend upward they really aren't that strong. If you insist on lifting it with a hoist buy a sling steadymate makes one,but I don't think its worthwhile

I dont think they would hold the weight either better stick with a jack then you can get a dolly and remove the jack i got one yesterday what a difference

100_0184-1.jpg

I have the same jack as Smitty, I have no stability issues. I can move it around the garage while on the jack. I use it to wash the bike too, I can spin it around so it is facing the way I need it, tires rotate for easing cleaning. As in the picture of Smitty's the handle comes off, the jack is not in the way.

I have never seen any of the major market lifts that were unstable.
There is a lot of miss information out there on lifts do a little home work.
you'll find they are very stable you can spend 100 dollars up to how much you got on them use it right they work.
Hanging your bike is not a good idea.
Now I do not recommend this but here an example , sitting on the bike while on the lift no straps no bolck nothing extra.
It stable
onthebike.jpg

I admit, my lift jack is pretty stable even without strapping it down but while I have sat on the bike while it was up, I have never lifted my bike that high. :D

the jack is stable i will say that but with the dolly i can see oil changes will be a lot eaiser and it moves a lot easier bigger wheels ..

I do like your idea.

It's never a good idea to place any part of you under a suspended load unless you have it properly "blocked". The dolly would be a good example of a block. A mechanical device strong enough to hold the weight.

You could make two spreader bars that would fit under your bike, lift it to the dolly height, slip the dolly under the bike and then lower the hoist until the bike rests safely on the dolly.

I'm no mechanical engineer so I couldn't recommend a thickness but you could find some stout square channel, place some rated eye hooks or stops on the spreader bars for your slings so they won't fall off.

Howdy!

When reading some of the stories regarding bikes being unstable on motorcycle jacks, and my own feeling that the jack will always be in my way when working on the bike...I got to thinkin' (wife says that always precedes an embarrassing event!). I have an overhead electric hoist rated at 4 tons in my shop. Does anyone lift their bike using 4 nylon slings to the handlebars and rear crash bars? Seems like it would be safer than balancing on a floor jack.

Bought this jack. Greatest thing since shirt pockets! Very stable. Their video on the website is true. I've done it. Easy to roll around with bike (09 Road King), will stand up taking very little floor space. Great for sevice, washing, etc. VERY glad I got it!

JS Jacks - Motorcycle Lift, Wheel Chock, Oil Pan Adapter - Wisconsin :D

Back