free website stats program Lifter bleed down | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lifter bleed down

When the push rods bled down on the rear cylinder they spun easily. When I returned the front cylinder to TDC the rods spun easily also. I know I had the push rods seated properly on both. I don't know if this has anything to do with it......When I had the heads off I noticed the front piston was about 3/16 inch from ever reaching the top of the cylinder and the rear piston was ever so slightly proud of the top of the cylinder. I read somewhere that that is normal. I have not fired the bike as my tins are off to the painter. Thanks for everyones help on this.

WAS the front cylinder ALL THE WAY DOWN ON THE ENGINE BLOCK?
THIS DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT TO ME...... to have that much difference in the piston travel... I call a hd tec but the were in agreement with me on this.....
EVEN IF 1/8 DIFFERENCE IN NOT RIGHT IN MY BOOK.....

do the cyl's measure the same height .... (same length?)

signed....BUBBIE

MAY BE A FEW OTHERS WILL CHIME IN HERE?

WHAT SAY YOU CHOPPER?? TQ......

Glad to hear you got it ricksterzz, I'm sure when you get the tins on and fire it up, it will purr like a kitten:)

That does not make any sense, both pistons should travel the same distance, if they did not I would think that the compression would be different, the closer the piston to the valve the more compression and if it is different I would think that the bike would be all out of wack, especially if you did a compression test. Am I right Chopper?

THIS DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT TO ME...... to have that much difference in the piston travel... .....

I agree with you Bubbie. The deck heights should be the same. I can't imagine HD is different than the rest of the world in this respect.:p.

I agree that the pistons should both come to equal height in the cylinder. If not something not right.
kemo

WAS the front cylinder ALL THE WAY DOWN ON THE ENGINE BLOCK?
THIS DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT TO ME...... to have that much difference in the piston travel... I call a hd tec but the were in agreement with me on this.....
EVEN IF 1/8 DIFFERENCE IN NOT RIGHT IN MY BOOK.....

do the cyl's measure the same height .... (same length?)

signed....BUBBIE

MAY BE A FEW OTHERS WILL CHIME IN HERE?

WHAT SAY YOU CHOPPER?? TQ......
THE ONLY THING I WOULD THINK now IS THE PISTON MAY HAVE PUSHED THE FRONT CYL OFF THE BASE IF UN-RESTRAINED.... CAUSING THE DIFFERENCE IN THE LOOK of 3/16.....

A compression reading after together would be necessary and that SHOULD show if a problem is there..SORRY

IF THE SAME pressures ARE in both cyl's,,, within a few lbs. , HOPEFULLY , then the deck height distance is the same.... and ALL IS OKAY

hopefully
signed....BUBBIE

THE ONLY THING I WOULD THINK now IS THE PISTON MAY HAVE PUSHED THE FRONT CYL OFF THE BASE IF UN-RESTRAINED.... CAUSING THE DIFFERENCE IN THE LOOK of 3/16.....

hopefully
signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, I agree that has to be it. That same issue would happen when working on VW air cooled engines that had studded jugs years back. Everything would pull in once the heads were torqued. (or lets HOPE it's that).

If it were me I would put it all back together, do a compression test, see if it is less than 10% difference between the two, if it is good, call it a day and ride it.

But this is just me.......

Even when finished, if the front cylinder measured 148 PSI and the rear cylinder measured 165 I could not sleep at night. I would have to know why.

Back