free website stats program Lifter bleed down | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lifter bleed down

your sure ya put the pushrods in the right holes on the lifters didnt cross them up ?

Yes I have checked...They are in the right holes. I have not turned my wheel since I got to TDC on the front cylinder as they say not to in the manual.

Seven days....I can turn them with my fingers, but it is really hard and I have a pretty good grip. Should they spin easy?

Here is my suggestion and Bud just did this so I am sure he will have a suggestion also, being apart 7 days, you are 100% confident it is back together the way it should be, next step I would take is bleed the lifters down.

you should be able to spin them but not liek they are too loose .. your using the stock one so ya cant over lentghen them

ya got 2 options here.. remove the front totally spin motor to flat spot on cams and do the rear and see hwo it feels or..

Remove the plugs if you havent and put it in 5th gear and slowly easly turn the wheel and motor over and if it go .. if it stops then stop your hitting parts if it will smoothly rotate over then you should be ok ..

are the rocker boxs still open ?

well, I am turning in for the night, good luck, hope you get it sorted out before you pull your hair out. But on the good side,, it could be riding season.

I checked it on the stand by turning the wheel until we felt the air come out of the front cylinder and I can see the piston is TDC.

Remember, you will have the piston at TDC on the end of the exhaust stroke, and the compression stroke. With the plug out, you will feel air coming out on both strokes. Are the valve covers off? If so, you should be able to watch the exhaust valve open, then the intake valve open, and then turn the rear wheel slowly until the engine is at TDC. This will be the compression stroke, and both lifters will be on the back of the cam lobe. If the valve cover is on, you can still do the stuff described above by watching the lifters move - exhaust, intake, then to TDC.

Everything is stock, right? The head gasket is the same thickness as stock?

TQ

Last edited:
Back