free website stats program Let's hear about the FXR's here | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's hear about the FXR's here

that is unusual ,If I remember the chrome option was not avalable for the 1984 model, that option was offered in a certain model FXR in late 1985,also a special paint option ,but dont remember if it was offerd on the FXRS= low glide model or FXRT= tourglide model, but not 1984 model yr ,the FXR had many changes from yr to yr lots even mid yr production so its hard to say, but I think 1984 did not have a chrome option for the rocker boxes but late 85 did on a custom option with paint. But all in all you have a very nice stock FXRS there enjoy it .

how is everybody doing. i have not posted in awhile , trying to get all the bugs out of the bike. It has been at the local harley shop for two weeks now, destroyed the clutch and chain, plus every part in there. I have bought all the factory manuals for it. I really enjoy riding this bike, it is very smooth and comfortable. The only problem is finding factory parts. I have found almost all the stock parts, except the front seat. I have called all the nos and antique places i could find. I found the rear seat at a dealer in ohio and they shipped it right to me. I found out who makes the seats for harley and i am going to call them, maybe they have some original covers. This seat is the last roadblock to finish finding all the original parts i need. In case anybody has one the part# is 52440-84. I don,t know why i have not owned a fxr before, they are a great bike.

that is unusual ,If I remember the chrome option was not avalable for the 1984 model, that option was offered in a certain model FXR in late 1985,also a special paint option ,but dont remember if it was offerd on the FXRS= low glide model or FXRT= tourglide model, but not 1984 model yr ,the FXR had many changes from yr to yr lots even mid yr production so its hard to say, but I think 1984 did not have a chrome option for the rocker boxes but late 85 did on a custom option with paint. But all in all you have a very nice stock FXRS there enjoy it .

Thanks Crocker...

I don't know what it is with this bike but what I'm reading that it should have is not what it has. I can't see my Father in Law changing the rocker boxes... I'll have to ask him. He was on a kick there for a while that every week he was adding some sort of do-dad to it. I have most of the stock parts so I know what he changed for the most part.
I need to get used to this seat height or get a taller one... I'm used to my DualSport bike... the seat is 36"

i currently ride an '05 FXDL. when me and the wife are out on it, we rub the frame(rear foot rest) every time. i am wondering if any of you do any 2-3 day trips 2-up with gear in your bags. is there any frame rub or whatever?
i was considering a dyna superglide, but was told to look into the fxr's

how is everybody doing. i have not posted in awhile , trying to get all the bugs out of the bike. It has been at the local harley shop for two weeks now, destroyed the clutch and chain, plus every part in there. I have bought all the factory manuals for it. I really enjoy riding this bike, it is very smooth and comfortable. The only problem is finding factory parts. I have found almost all the stock parts, except the front seat. I have called all the nos and antique places i could find. I found the rear seat at a dealer in ohio and they shipped it right to me. I found out who makes the seats for harley and i am going to call them, maybe they have some original covers. This seat is the last roadblock to finish finding all the original parts i need. In case anybody has one the part# is 52440-84. I don,t know why i have not owned a fxr before, they are a great bike.

Have you tried Elvi's Place? Elvis' Place Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Parts - Parts List

Snodrtrider......... if you are happy with the level of comfort with your seat ,I would not change it you might want to look in to changing out the rear shocks ..your s model came with a shorter shock then the t model , this will get you a little more in height, and also it was a known back in the day the t model handled a little better the your s model because of the taller shocks on the tour models , you might want to do a aftermarket upgrade with the fxrt shock height.Again real nice ride enjoy it .

yes i adjusted them to the highest position, but this does not raise the swingarm height, which the footrest oes underneath

does anybody riding an fxr hit the frame anywhere when riding 2 up?

Snodrtrider......... if you are happy with the level of comfort with your seat ,I would not change it you might want to look in to changing out the rear shocks ..your s model came with a shorter shock then the t model , this will get you a little more in height, and also it was a known back in the day the t model handled a little better the your s model because of the taller shocks on the tour models , you might want to do a aftermarket upgrade with the fxrt shock height.Again real nice ride enjoy it .

Thanks again Crocker!

I have been reading and found this out. Not only did HD shorten the shocks but cut the fork tubes 2" as well. I'll ride her like this for the season and check into some suspension upgrades over the winter.
Since the FXR was/is considered the best handling Harley of it's time I want to have the best handling FXRS.

Are there any sites that I can go to to get concise information on the various changes/options through the years? It seems that Harley would have info on vintage models on on their site for riders that want to restore bikes to original specs.

Hit the frame on what/where?
I don't have any rub issues. I'm lowered 2" front and rear, and have a 155 tire out back.
Is it the footpegs that are rubbing? maybe you have the wrong peg mounts?

Back