free website stats program Learned something today. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Learned something today.

LA. state HOG rally this year is having civilian rodeo on Fri, and Sat. You will be amazed at the skill level of some of the riders that plan to participate. The date of the HOG rally is March 31, April 1&2 in Alexandria. For more info go to 2011 Louisiana H.O.G. Rally

Hope to see you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been riding street bikes since 1977 and I still practice maneuvers every spring in large open lot...good on you & get signed up for a MSF course at your earliest convenience. I remember/use learned techniquess every year too - engrained in my mind.

I have a turn around circle in front of my house (dead end street) so I practice tight turns there. I saw a video of Police offices doing the cones and want to get that good....

.... ..... The following year they offered the advanced rider course. Pretty much the same course as the beginner but on your own bike I'll be (EDIT) if I wasn't doing figure 8's in the box with my bagger. .... ....

Well it's good to know that it is possible. I had riden for about 8yrs when I was much younger, so when I took my beginners course it all came back to me pretty quick. But I would bet that on my Dyna in the Advanced course, I would be like some those students in my beginners class that had a real hard time in the figure 8. I am going to force myself to practice though. All we do is ride, and I need to practice the hard stuff.

Went again today (70 degrees F). Half hour of practice, then a 45 minute ride - and I did note the date of that HOG rally in Alexandria. Thanks! I plan to be there.

Ice has the right idea, we all should brush up on our skills, whether it is during a "free hour or two" especially after a break in your riding regimen like just after winter hibernation, or if more than a month or two of no riding.

Much as I hate to admit it, I feel the difference in my riding skill immediately before and after a practice session...and can only imagine the difference if it is separated by months of inactivity, followed by routine riding and not skill riding.

While I ride almost every day primarily commuting, the difference can be felt, especially after a long ride in the mountains doing the twisties...it actually makes in town "traffic jamming" more fun if you can believe that, or on clear straight highway road doing counter steering weaves between the bots dots sure takes the tedium out of those long straight highways that seem to go forever...!:D

I was really glad to see this post today. I was telling my husband that I need to go to a parking lot and practice the slow stuff in the next week or two now that the thaw has started. I need him there with me in case I drop her. While I can pick her up (barely), I can't do it more than once or twice. And, I need my spirits picked up if I drop her..... Always lots of tears - I'm a girl, what can I say.

I took the MSF beginner course and want to take the advanced course but am nervous. My Deluxe is WAY bigger than those 250's. If I'm going to ride her I need to do it like a pro! So I plan to take the course this fall.

Best to all of you as we brush up and clear the winter cobwebs!

.... .... in case I drop her. ... ... ..

Sure hope you don't drop her. Couldn't tell from your pic if you have crash bars but they would help if she dropped. Also for a few days before you practice, sit on your bike in the grass and put both feet down and practice leaning her side to side (both hands on bars) to build strength in your legs. Over time you will be amazed at your increased ability to hold her up. It also builds your core muscles. We used to do this many years ago when I was younger to prepare for dirt track races on our dirt bikes.

I won't say that dropping one will not happen, but you can go a long way towards being conditioned enough to quickly stabilize your bike before it gets too far over. My wife rides on the back with me, and she has learned now to stay straight and not lean around me when I'm coming to a stop. I'm 60 yrs old and she could put a strain on my core just as coming to a stop while appling the front brake, when she would lean around to tell me something. I quickly put my foot down and pulled it back, but it was a strain.
Good luck with it, admire your courage and desire.

Back