free website stats program Laced wheels vs stock SG wheels | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Laced wheels vs stock SG wheels

Sounds as if you have been lucky with spokes for a long time. Not knowing how much you ride, I have no idea if having to get an inner tube and rim strip with each new tire was ever a problem for you. A very long time ago I was told about a guy on a BMW who was killed in a death wobble attributed to loose spokes. Swore then I'd never have a wire spoke wheel and except for about 30 days that has always been the case. I bought an 08 Road King Classic and was able to get a deal that I'd get full credit to swap the stuff I didn't like for what I did want. Among the things I got rid of were the laced wheels. All this to say that I have ridden the same machine with both spoked and cast wheels and I could tell no difference in the ride and handling. To me, the cast wheels never need to be tuned or even checked for loose spokes and can be cleaned with a wet cloth in about 15 minutes. I'd rather ride than take a brush to each and every spoke to keep them looking good. While spokes provide that classic, iconic appearance, the easy cleaning and no maintenance feature of the cast wheels do it for me. Never having to bother with an inner tube and rim strip is just icing on the cake. If you are one who enjoys cleaning as much as riding, enjoy your spokes, but DON'T ignore them, they need periodic checking and maintenance.

I got laced wheels on my UC for the looks, I spray them with Mothers Wheel and Tire Cleaner when the bike is on my lift so it's not a big deal to clean them. I think they look so much better than Mags and if there is a flat issue I carry a can of Fix-a-flat. Nasty stuff but it'll get you home.

Back