free website stats program Laced wheels vs stock SG wheels | Harley Davidson Forums

Laced wheels vs stock SG wheels

JimmyDee

I have had laced wheels on every Harley that I have owned, except my present SG.

Never really thought about it before, but comparing the two, do you feel the the stock SG rim might be a little less prone to give problems? Do you loose some of the gyro effect with laced over the more solid stock rim?

Might have just too much time on my hands, but wanted I would ask before changing to laced.

Thanks and hope everyone has a great day.!

Unless you going for a radical chromed out laced wheel, the Street Glide is a minimalist type of bike. Sooo I would suggest leaving well enough alone, but of course it your ride you decide. Keep in mind that if you start by changing to spoke wheels it is going to have a cause and effect situation. The cause will effect you to do more chrome.......:s

In my opinion, nothing looks better than shiny chrome spoke wheels. And I can't think of anything I dislike more than cleaning spoke wheels. Spokes require periodic inspection and adjustment. Cast wheels are maintenance free (bearings excepted).

For me, the main advantage of non-spoke wheels is being able to do a roadside plug repair in the tire and then ride somewhere to have it permanently fixed or replaced. If you're willing to forego this advantage and are mainly concerned with looks, then go for whatever you like best.

I'm w/Breeze...spokes are always a pain to clean & adjust. Really like the switch to solid rim(s), but can't help w/gyro. My guess is wheel balancing makes it roll true so there shouldn't be any performance/ride difference...

No cleaning (polishing) and being plug-able are the reasons I love my cast wheels.

There are some tubless spoke wheel, and there are some cast wheel the look like fat spoke wheel. I'm with the group that does not like keeping spoke wheel clean and or adjusted. Whichever wheel weighs more will give more gyro effect.

If I were you I'd keep the cast wheels. But if you ever want laced I'll trade you my laced on a 07 FXDB and pay some too for your wheels. I know the 07 SG wheels are interchangable with mine, would have to verify your fitment first but I have a gut feeling they would work.

Back