free website stats program Kendon trailer question | Harley Davidson Forums

Kendon trailer question

173ABN

Anyone have good or bad comment on the Kendon standup trailer? Thinking of getting one and after research they seem like they are good quality. Or does anyone have any other ideas for a good trailer for haulling the bike cross country?

Anyone have good or bad comment on the Kendon standup trailer? Thinking of getting one and after research they seem like they are good quality. Or does anyone have any other ideas for a good trailer for haulling the bike cross country?

Go to the Search tab ( top of page) here and type in Kendon trailer -- many of threads/posts on them.

I never have used one but have looked closely at the Kendon. Can't take it away from Kendon they do make a nice Trailer. Nice welds & well designed. Torsion Bar is a must for a bike trailer and that is what they use. If you are buying a used one, make sure the serial number has an "AA" in it. If it does NOT have an AA in the serial number, don't pay a bunch for it.

But no matter who's trailer you buy just make sure they did not install Chinese bearings in the hubs. They are BAD even when they are NEW. Rip them out and install some real bearings (SKF / Timken) and be ready for the road. I just purchased an awesome new trailer but it had junk (china) bearings in it which I am now replacing. That is not the place to skimp.

Attachments

• Rocket 001.jpg
    Rocket 001.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Rocket 002.jpg
    Rocket 002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Rocket 003.jpg
    Rocket 003.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 24
I've owned a Kendon 2/up for three years now and have only had one problem with uneven tire wear. Most likely ball height, alignment or tire pressure. Other than that all good, in fact this year we trailered two Road Kings from Seattle to Sturgis round trip and it felt like there was nothing behind us. A very good trailer and easy to store.

Both tires and to the best of my recollection (I'm not at home) it was on the inside. The wear is even around the entire tire so I believe that is feathering?

Inside wear all the way around BOTH tires sounds like it had a little too much "negative camber" or some spindle sag from the weight. But I would almost expect to see that with a pair of Road Kings on it. (850#s + 850#s + trailer weight would be at the limit of a 2K TorqFlex axle)

Thanks!

I agree the trip was 3000 miles, I'll keep these tires on for around town but if we do a long distance trip............new tires are mandatory. Any ideas what I can do to prevent or minimize this if we load to RK's?

Well the first thing you would need to do is determine if this "theory" about spindle sag is true.
I would "plumb" the rims with no weight on the trailer and then again under full load. See if the camber angle is in-fact changing due to weight.

As far as I can tell, all spindles on torsion bar setups come with the camber set near "0" degrees (or perfectly vertical) so you have to expect some sag or negative camber when loaded up..

There is not much that can be done if the spindles are sagging from the weight. The limit of the Dual (AA) model is quoted at 2K pounds. I would bet that is GROSS weight which would mean you have to include the trailer itself. Two Road Kings w/ the trailer and your at the limit.

Back