free website stats program k-n air filter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

k-n air filter

@glider

thx for the pdf file, makes it all clear now. i was confused about the k&n part number that matched stage 1 SE air cleaner. today walked into a non dealer shop, luckily got the hd-0800, it was their last piece.

bythe way, this type of SE air cleaner costs almost the same as k&n but they're not washable like k&n.

Could someone please explain the holes in the filter housing trick that jel123 mentioned. I get the impression that the filter housing is what restricts air into motor and not the filter perse on stock bikes.

Could someone please explain the holes in the filter housing trick that jel123 mentioned. I get the impression that the filter housing is what restricts air into motor and not the filter perse on stock bikes.

housing means the cover???

just guessing, may be jel123 meant, make 4 holes of 3/4" on the bottom side of the cover???...:52:

using stage 1 kit & k&n hd0800 with stock cover still allows more air in than stock kit. coz the inner side (facing engine) of cleaner is open.

any1 ever used rain sock on K&n cleaner?
does it really prevent water (rain) from getting sucked in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Smitty, one person says to leave the sock on,next person tells me to take it off and only put on if raining. What do you suggest?

There a K&N buyers guide that gives the dimensions to replace round, but cylinder profile listed below:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/univ2.aspx?ID=S0001

For S&S Air Cleaner Elements. Mine is similar, only I use a replaceable dry, high performance element ('bout $8 at O'Riellys'-Kragens) about 2 1/2" tall so the element has a visible 1/4" exposed under the chrome teardrop cover. Though most K&N filters that are round are around $60-$90 MSRP, being reusable is something to consider...besides the performance.

The more tradiional Harley ones are tapered cylinder type or "cone shaped" and can be found in Gliders' K&N to HD filters Self Help Tip for part number

http://www.hdtimeline.com/fuel_and_carb_related_issues/1765-k_and_n_filter_upgrade.html

Last edited:
here,s an old school trick get your k&n filter and while you have your filter housing off drill 4 3/4 holes in the bottom ti works,jel

The Black ABS air filter housing has slots only in the front for air to enter. I removed mine (easy) and took a 3/4" (or any size close) spade bit and drilled holes in the bottom lip of the housing. I only did it on the bottom so the holes are not noticable, and I didn't do it on the back side to pull hot air from the cyl.fins. Not as effective as a "Big Sucker" set up, but $125 cheaper. If you decide you don't like it, you can get a good used twin cam a.c. housing on ebay for $15 shipped.

Is there any difference form a K&N replacement filter VS a Arlen Ness big sucker replacement filter?

If you are talking the K&N that is about 2 1/2" tall and not the replacement K&N for the stock housing , no difference other than the manufacturer. AN uses a filter made by Airaid which is very similar in construction to the K&N and get's cleaned the same way.

Back