free website stats program Just a little louder than stock | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just a little louder than stock

I will admit, I do like for my bike to have some volume. Not the ear splitting, no baffle loud, but I do enjoy making a car alarm go off with a little rev of the engine. I just got a new Street Glide two weeks ago. I have already put the SE Stage 1 a/c on it. I ordered Rush slip-ons with 2.25" baffles like I had on my 07 Heritage. They should be waiting for me today when I get home. I will be busy tonight putting them on the bike. I also have a TFI on the way. Hopefully, it will be here Friday.

I compare it to back in the late 70s early 80's when everyone was getting these big graphic equalizers and honking stereos for their cars. Too many people I saw sacrificed sound for volume. The louder the better and who cares what it sounds like. But if it sounds good, then hey...different story.

I've heard a ton of louder and better sounding pipes on the Heritage than mine and would love to have them. But the Rush baloney slip-ons with the 2" just wasn't one of them.

On the opposite side, I've heard some great rumbles coming from quiet pipes.

Its like customizing you bike...what looks great to one may look like trash to another.

Thats (one reason) what makes owning a Harley so FUN!!!!

I don't mind the stock exhaust but would like it to have a little more "pop" my wife doesn't like loud pipes and doesn't want me to change them. We like riding together so I want to keep her happy but I think she would tolerate something a little louder. My problem is that I don't know how to hear different pipes to evaluate them since there are so many options. Has anyone done this kind of research before? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Harley.
Hang out at the Harley shop on a Saturday when the suns out. you should be able to hear at least a hundred different sets of pipes. At least around here you could do that. You wouldn't believe how many people have nothing better to do than just ride their Harley back to the place they bought it every weekend:shock

Go to HDs web site and check out the new products in exhaust .The SE slash cuts produce a growl about 12-15% louder then stock ,but you can still hear your riding partner talk without an intercom:D

Hey Scratch, are your Rush pipes slip ons? Can you change the baffles without removing the mufflers.
I always assumed SE II was louder than SE I. If that's not the case what does
stage 1 and stage 2 do.

Hey Scratch, are your Rush pipes slip ons? Can you change the baffles without removing the mufflers.
I always assumed SE II was louder than SE I. If that's not the case what does
stage 1 and stage 2 do.

Yes they are Rush Slip on baloney cuts and yes you can pull the baffles without removing the pipe.

I pulled a small nut and bolt from the end of the exhausts and with a little coercing, the baffles came out. Slid the new ones in, lined up the slot and screwed it back in.

Longest part of the process was getting the baffles out. The wrap can get bound up and thats what takes the longest time. But it took me no more than an hour (even that's generous) and it was all done.

That sounds like the setup I need. Next question, is it practical to change the baffle intermittently? There are times when I'd like to make a little noise.

That sounds like the setup I need. Next question, is it practical to change the baffle intermittently? There are times when I'd like to make a little noise.

You'd probably want to re-wrap the after you remove one. The wrapping can get pretty beat up. I've still got my 2" and next season I'll probably get 1.75" just to satisfy my curiousity. So sometimes I may switch.

This is the first time I've done a baffle swap so others here may have better advice.

Back