free website stats program Just a little louder than stock | Harley Davidson Forums

Just a little louder than stock

harley@16

I don't mind the stock exhaust but would like it to have a little more "pop" my wife doesn't like loud pipes and doesn't want me to change them. We like riding together so I want to keep her happy but I think she would tolerate something a little louder. My problem is that I don't know how to hear different pipes to evaluate them since there are so many options. Has anyone done this kind of research before? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Harley.

No matter where you listen to them you can't beat in-person. I tried online youtubes and such and just couldn't hear the sound like it really is.

I have an 08 Heritage and put on Rush slip-ons with 2" baffles. To me, they were too loud. But further, I didn't like the sound. I struggled with 1.5 and 1.75 baffles listening to online and talking to various people. But sound is soooooo subjective.

I finally said heck with it and bought 1.5 baffles with warnings galore that either it would change the tone but not the sound...to...they will be too quiet. (subjective)

I got the 1.5 in and very much like it. Still got a good harley sound but its a little louder than stock. I could probably get away with 1.75 and maybe I'll try those next year. But for now, the 1.5 work wonderfully.

Just my own subjective opinion!! :s

eta: by the way, I'm not a prude. I've heard some loud bikes that I really liked the sound. I just didn't like how mine sounded. It was more of a rap-rap-rap instead of a good rumble. Thats why I say I probably could've gotten away with the 1.75 baffles. My wife also likes these alot better and she doesn't like really loud pipes either. She doesn't mind them, but she likes the new baffles.

Last edited:
Some slip-ons, such as Rush Exhaust, have different size baffles to fit the same muffler. Maybe you could contact them and describe to them what you are looking for. I had the Rush slip-ons on my last bike with 2.25" baffles. They were a good bit louder than stock. However, the guy I bought it from had 1.75" baffles in it. They sounded good and were only a little louder than stock. Hope you find what you want in the eternal search for that perfect sound.

Yes. Loudness and the tone are done with the baffles.

My 1.5 don't have the DEEP sound the 2" had. But it was still a tonal thing where the rap of the 2" weren't pleasing to the ears. I like the tone/volume of the 1.5 better. The 1.75 would get a little deeper tone and a little more volume which is why I think I could've gone that way. But for me, I was ready to put the stock exhaust back on vs. listening to what I had in the 2".

Skratch, yes sound is very subjective, "I can see it now"...and I am like you, had unbaffled straight drag pipe, did not like the ringing/rap sound, so put in a short 12" baffle pair for $15 and now it has a deep rumble without the harshness that set off my co-rider' ears and car alarms ringing. Best of both worlds...JMO!

Thanks for everyone's input. Hearing your reasoning for what you're selecting helps me understand the what difference they make in the sound. Thanks Hobbit for suggesting YouTube, I never thought of that (I don't go there much)
it is true that you don't get the full impact of the sound but it's a place to start.
Some gave before and after comparison and that was good.

Some slip-ons, such as Rush Exhaust, have different size baffles to fit the same muffler. Maybe you could contact them and describe to them what you are looking for. I had the Rush slip-ons on my last bike with 2.25" baffles. They were a good bit louder than stock. However, the guy I bought it from had 1.75" baffles in it. They sounded good and were only a little louder than stock. Hope you find what you want in the eternal search for that perfect sound.

When I talked to Rush about my baffles I had inquired more about 1.5 than 1.75 because I kept hearing from people that they would sound pretty much the same.

When the guy at Rush was trying to talk me out of the 1.5 he said "if you want your bike to sound like an effing (not what he used!!) Honda, then the 1.5 will work."

I think there are some people who just like loud pipes. The guy at the HD store where I got the baffles said that the 1.5 will not be a big change at all. So its all in the 'ear' of the beholder. When I had the HD guy listen to the pipes he said it was drastically different than what he thought they'd be. This guy is very much a 'loud pipe' guy.

Again, I'm very happy with what I have but would be willing to try the next size up.

When I talked to Rush about my baffles I had inquired more about 1.5 than 1.75 because I kept hearing from people that they would sound pretty much the same.

When the guy at Rush was trying to talk me out of the 1.5 he said "if you want your bike to sound like an effing (not what he used!!) Honda, then the 1.5 will work."

I think there are some people who just like loud pipes. The guy at the HD store where I got the baffles said that the 1.5 will not be a big change at all. So its all in the 'ear' of the beholder. When I had the HD guy listen to the pipes he said it was drastically different than what he thought they'd be. This guy is very much a 'loud pipe' guy.

Again, I'm very happy with what I have but would be willing to try the next size up.

I will admit, I do like for my bike to have some volume. Not the ear splitting, no baffle loud, but I do enjoy making a car alarm go off with a little rev of the engine. I just got a new Street Glide two weeks ago. I have already put the SE Stage 1 a/c on it. I ordered Rush slip-ons with 2.25" baffles like I had on my 07 Heritage. They should be waiting for me today when I get home. I will be busy tonight putting them on the bike. I also have a TFI on the way. Hopefully, it will be here Friday.

You might consider the Screamin' Eagle II's for it. I've got them on my 08 Street Glide, and they are just a little louder than stock.

Back