free website stats program Jiffy Stand Clunking | Harley Davidson Forums

Jiffy Stand Clunking

Rodion

I have an '09 Electra Glide Classic and just noticed that when retracting (closing) the jiffy stand past a certain position it makes a loud clunking noise. I leaned the bike over to the right so I could move the jiffy stand open an close easily and looking underneath it, it seems that when rotating it backwards to the closed position, at one particular point, the stand seems to move out of its centered axle position and a metal-to-metal noise pops up really high. (i refer to axle as the line made by the central nut that holds it in place). Has anyone had this problem? It seems that the axle of the stand might not be centered anymore so after a certain point the spring pulls the jiffy stand back and it is when I hear the noise. It is really high and annoying.:newsmile08:

I have an 09 Ultra Classic and have not experienced this problem myself. Just went out and verified that it's not an issue on my bike. Just curious if you had to take your bike in for the jiffy stand recall a couple/few years back? I did, so I'm not sure if that's why I'm not experiencing the same issue. Just a thought.

Cyclops, no i haven't. I just wonder if for some reason due to the heavy weight on the stand, when the bike moves a little forward or backwards at stops, if the stand bent a little on its axle, making it stay out of alignement and thus making the noise when almost complete retracted. As if something had got in between the swing movement making the clank. That's what I saw looking underneath and making the stand swing completeley with no weight on it. The noise is really high as if some metal is breaking.

Try lubing the jiffy stand and spring and work it back and forth good, does your frame or primary cover have a bumper stop for the jiffy stand? Does it rattle when fully up? Check for a wear mark on the bottom of the primary cover and frame

Jack & Texas, I thought about lubing it up to see if it works but in the rain or after a shower it might do it again (???) The bumper stop is in place and ok. The noise is not when completly closed, it is in the middle of the swing. Let's say that closed is Zero degrees and fully open is 90 degress. When moving it to close, at about say 30 degrees is where the stand center axle (where the bolt is) moves back a little (due to the spring pulling it back), going out of its center, and the big metal bang is heard.

I have a 03 FLSTS and it did just what you described. I unbolted it and cleaned it with a fine grade steel wool brake cleaner then lubed it with a good moly grease and problem solved, maybe it will work for you.

Maybe the return spring is sliding and then making a snaping sound when it reaches the end of the spring holder. The two little metal tabs the the spring ends are attached to. Hope u know what I mean.

Traveller, good to know how you solved it. I unscrewed it a bit but it didn't work. The loud BANG is still there. I was affraid there might be some internal spring on the axle or bolt or other thing that would pop out and make it difficult to place back in so gave up. I'll try later to do as you did and post the result. Thx !!

67wizard, I couldn't figure out what you ment about the spring ends attachment but will look closely and let you know. Thx!!

It sounds as if the spring is popping over a spot on the frame,its possible someone replaced it and didnt get it lined up properly ,I know on my 07 every time I scrape the left side in a turn it wears out the spring and I have to replace it. Possible its been replaced not put where it belongs,look at another bike and compare it to it see if its the same..

Back