free website stats program Jiffy Stand Clunking | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Jiffy Stand Clunking

Traveller, good to know how you solved it. I unscrewed it a bit but it didn't work. The loud BANG is still there. I was affraid there might be some internal spring on the axle or bolt or other thing that would pop out and make it difficult to place back in so gave up. I'll try later to do as you did and post the result. Thx !!

67wizard, I couldn't figure out what you ment about the spring ends attachment but will look closely and let you know. Thx!!

The tab where the spring attaches to the jiffy stand tab, the other end attaches to the frame tab.

Sometimes when they get dry and maybe a bit corroded the spring will not slide smoothly in the hole. As you rotate it around to the closed position the tension against spring will make it jump to the correct position with a POP sound. As stated above lubing and cleaning should fix it up unless (again as stated above) it was improperly re-installed which I have also seen? Hope it works out for you.

Time to take it apart. There is no spring involved with the locking tab or the bolt that holds it. The easiest way to take the stand out of its bracket is to remove the bolt and locking tab, then rotate the stand until it is pointing straight forward. That should release all of the tension on the spring and the axle part will slide down out of the bracket. Now you can inspect the stand, the spring, and the bracket. Others have mentioned that the hooks on both ends of the spring are made so they can rotate to align properly. A drop or 2 of oil on the pivot points will ensure the hooks can move properly inside the spring coils. Clean and lube the inside of the bracket and the axle part of the stand. A small smear of grease in the eyes where the spring hooks engage the frame and the stand should allow the spring hooks to move quietly inside those points as the stand moves up and down. Then reverse the dis-assembly procedure to reinstall the stand. With the stand pointed straight forward you should be able to reconnect both ends of the spring and slide the axle part back into the bracket. Then rotate the stand back into the normal operating range and assemble the locking tang and its bolt. If it still makes the banging, squeaking, grinding noise after all of this, your problem is beyond my ability to help over the net.

I'll try to lube it first to see if it works. If not I'll remove it as per btsom's very comprehensive explanation. I'll keep you posted. Thx !!

Everything btsom said! Has worked well for me. Also from my '07 service manual; [check yours for torque values!!! :) ]

"Verify that end of spring enters hole at front of jiffy stand weldment. If end of spring enters hole at rear of weldment, spring coil will rub on jiffy stand when exercised."

"Holding jiffy stand at the full forward (down) position, install leg stop over threaded end with the stamped side down. Install flat washer, lockwasher and hex screw. Tighten hex screw to 15-20 ft-lbs (20.3-27.1 Nm)."

Back