free website stats program Is this a good Deal???? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is this a good Deal????

Found this on Craigslist. Want to know if yall think this is a good deal. It has high miles.

2001 Harley Davidson 1450cc FXDWG (Wide Glide). Engine is in great shape, chrome looks awesome, engine guard, highway pegs, windshield, full HD maintenance manual, nylon motorcycle cover (But the bike has been garage kept). This bike has not been collecting dust in a garage, it is ready for a road trip.

It could use a paint job and it has 50K miles, hence the low price. 50K sounds like a lot of miles but it has never had any major work, only regular maintenance, and they say these bikes will go 100K without blinking. This bike was built after HD widened the front rake and rubber mounted the engine.

I love this bike, but I'm leaving the country in ONE WEEK on August 21st and MUST get rid of it. I've dropped the price to $7,000.

3n63m63p75Oc5P65S198e67c823abbc621ef3.jpg

Not knit-picking...but I can't understand why the sellar says... "could use a new paint job"? scratched, dented, faded????
I wouldn't worry about the miles if it has had regular oil changes.

Ok, Guys , how bout this one..

Harley Davidson

Model Dyna Wide Glide
Year 2000
Engine 88 Cubic Inch
Trans 5 Speed

Color Blue, Silver, and Chrome

Super clean Wide Glide, has approx 55000 Highway Miles. It has over $4000 worth of accessories including a Mikuni 42mm Carb, K&N, Thunder Header 2 into 1 Exhaust, Corbin Seat and Backrest, Detachable Windshield, Saddle Bags, Leather Tool Bag, and lots of chrome.

It has been meticulously maintained. All maintenance records and service manual come with the bike. No Tire Kickers please. This is a great Harley for $6500. ALL offers will be considered. Bought a new one, so this one has to go.

Please email me for additional information. Bike can be viewed in the Richardson area.

3n03o43l25P75Sb5Re987b092deaa5feb1656.jpg

3n03k93o75Pd5R25S8987ab4e7d59d0a719f9.jpg

Sorry, but with the deals out there right now, no way I'd drop 7K on that model bike with those miles, ESPECIALLY since it has had no major work!
With that many miles on the clock, it should have had some by now!

Sir what type of work do you think this cycle should have had by now? Please advise?

WOW! Who is putting all these miles on these Dynas???? :p

Who's putting this miles on...REAL Bikers...not some yuppie pose rider that's who. What the devil good is a cycle sitting the dog-gone stable anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Answer to first question:

LOTS.

With over 50K, on most bikes there will have been, at the very least, some top end work, maybe bottom end, and possibly trans as well. In addition, a lot of replacement of the usual components that don't tolerate heavy use as well as we'd like, although those may not come under the heading of "major" work.

Answer to second question:

I wasn't aware that if you didn't put bagger mileage on non-touring scoots you didn't qualify as a "REAL biker"! :D I stand corrected!

Just to satisfy my curiosity though.....does being surprised that anybody could sit in a Dyna saddle for those miles actually make me a "yuppie pose rider"? I wasn't shooting for that, but I've been called so much worse, by so many people, so many times, that might be an upgrade, so, thanks, I think! :s

ON the original post it was I think 50K and 55K miles respectably. I put 40 each on two Roadkings. Making 80K total. Only problem: One throttle cable. When I sold these cycles I would have not been afraid of riding from Miami to Fairbanks Alaska on either one. For the sake of this discussion, Are folk having more problems with their Harley's than what I'm aware of? My pal put 123K on his 95 EVO and only put ONE ribbed belt on.

I figured at 50K a well maintain Wideglide would just be broke in? Am I living in a dream world?

Please respond in the spirit of education.

Now I know a guy who rides a moped. He thinks nothing of riding on the highways all over the state of Indiana. He is a real biker!

I know a man in the 1940's who would put over 50K on the same Harley in less than a year. (many times) He was a real biker. These guys did'nt have all of those whiz bang by golly bagger seats of today. It really is all mind over matter.

Second one seems like a better buy to me,but that's from just looking at pics and reading "extra's" added. 1st one would appear to be stock, 2nd has more upgrades, cam chain tensioners is kinda the weak link in the TC's and with the mileage on both, the original tensioners should have been replaced ,if not they're overdue for replacement, even the second set of tensioners should be checked for wear with the mileage on them,other than that if they were only used and not abused they would be good bikes. You would/should see them and have them checked over to be sure everything is what they say and take it from there. JMO.

I guess I could allow this thread to be pushed into another "What is a "real biker?" debate", but I'm just not going to let than happen. After 40+ years of riding, the only thing I know for SURE defines a "real biker" is that a real biker doesn't get into such a debate. We know who we are, and don't really care a whole lot if the guy on the next bike thinks we meet his definition of that standard or not. (Whatever that even is, by the way.)

1. Sorry if I got off of the subject.

Regarding the mileage issue, (and by the way, I know a guy who no longer is able to ride because of a disability, but he is the the very definition of a "real biker" in MY book, whether he ever gets on another scooter again or not.), I think that most riders would agree that a long distance trip is a lot more comfortable, and even safer, on a bagger like my Ultra,**** Tis that is why I have a Roadking....The name says it all. *****
than a Sporty, or a Dyna, or an FXR like mine, for example, while those same "lighter" bikes are a lot more fun for a quick spin around town, (otherwise know as a "bar-hopper"!),and I know there are many of our members who keep more than one scoot in the garage for just that reason.***** Gotcha *****

The mileage that accumulates on a bike with LOTS of everyday use WILL take a toll, and require repairs and parts replacements, and if you've been fortunate enough to stay on the road without having to do such upkeep without seeing any performance deterioration, you're a lucky guy! **** Well I keep my on top of all of that...oil changes, adjustments etc. ***
While my family and my business don't allow me to clock those kinds of heavy duty miles any more, my friends who do have had to do motor rebuilds, sometimes tops, sometimes bottoms, sometimes it's just been seals, etc, sometimes just a clutch overhaul, but it IS always SOMETHING. These bikes just aren't built to do 100K without any serious maintenance.

**** Well I know an air cooled engine like HD requires a lot of attention. However your first post gave me the impression that at 50K a Harley was shot, and not worth buying. Now you are using terms of 100K so that is a little different, hence you are changing your prospective to a degree. I dare say you may be much wiser about anything motorcycle than I am. My premise is if the person took care of the dyna's the brother ask about like I take care of my Harley's at 50K miles I would not shun those cycles but then I have to go by my experience. I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

If your experience is otherwise, I'd suggest you have been the exception, ****Really, do the folk you know stay on top of their service like they should? not the rule.

Sir I do respect your views and always want to learn from folk like you who have some much experience. Thank you very much.

Back