free website stats program Is there such a thing? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is there such a thing?

I have a big tank for my sportster that has two gas caps, so one is off to the side. Even at that the bobber could be angled paralell to the angle of the cap. That sure would be an easy gas guage. Oh well.

I'll just watch the mileage like always.

Ken

Ken, I am rather new at this, but I can only assume you want old style analog guage. Since your Sporty has two gas caps kinda makes me wonder if the old analog guage dual gas caps w/ left one having a guage (on baggers and other larger models) could be retrofitted. Sounds like you need to work a good relationship with one of the Parts guys at the Dealer to give you a hand with finding what parts you need. :newsmile04:

HD and Kuryakin come to mind if you want the new tech type LED or LCD type guages...flush or non-flush w/ logos or plain, in chrome or black which are rather easy to install and come with a guarantee. :s

It can't be that hard to build from scratch, gas cap guage, a rheostat (variable resistor), float mechanism to "wind it" , a mounting arrangement (mechanical, possibly have to use blind or captive fasteners) and fused power source. Just time and money as they say...:newsmile040:

I bought my Sporty from a fellow that used a piece of TAPE on the handlebar clamp to remind him what the odometer read when he filled it up. I thought that was really ODD. I read the manual and found the trip reset. Yet another reason to look at the manual before you start riding.

Pookibr, you sure you don't have a reserve setting on that bike?

Back in the 60s Suzuki had a 250 with a plastic tube up in front of the tank, there was an elbow welded to the top and bottom portions of the tank and the fuel level would show in the plastic tube. OK, so it looked like (EDITED), but what the hey it worked.

Now, I use the trip-o-meter on my speed-o-meter, armed with the knowledge that the 97 gets about 42 MPG and I got a 3.5 gallon tank, so I should be able to go 2.5 gallons without going to the reserve .. lemme see here .. 2.5 X 42 .. oh yeah bout 105 miles I should head for a gas station.

I don' need no stinkin gas gauge ..

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back