free website stats program Is the HD Security System Worth the Money? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is the HD Security System Worth the Money?

Security: Don't leave home without it.

Like Flashback, I had someone mess with my bike when it had security (flashing lights) but no siren. Luckly no damage was done. I quickly added the siren option. Now if someone messes with my bike they will get an earful of a very loud whistle. Even me, I tried to start mine the other day but had forgoten my FOB. I was in my garage, talk about loud, yeow! I couldn't get to the fob fast enough. :D

I am so sold on security, "with siren," that was the deal closer on my reciently purchased UC, "install a siren and a garage door opener on it (at no cost to me) and I'll take it."

Just a question for those with alarms,do you put it on silent arm or chirp when arming and disarming? Mine was on chirp when I purchased it and the first thing I did was to scour my owners manual to find out how to put in on silent. that darn chirp drove me crazy

Mine is on chirp and I've never considered turning it off. It lets me know the tings working. Then again the blinking signal lights do that as well. Still, I like the chirp.

Security: Don't leave home without it.

Like Flashback, I had someone mess with my bike when it had security (flashing lights) but no siren. Luckly no damage was done. I quickly added the siren option. Now if someone messes with my bike they will get an earful of a very loud whistle. Even me, I tried to start mine the other day but had forgoten my FOB. I was in my garage, talk about loud, yeow! I couldn't get to the fob fast enough. :D

I am so sold on security, "with siren," that was the deal closer on my reciently purchased UC, "install a siren and a garage door opener on it (at no cost to me) and I'll take it."

Silent alarm comes standard on most machines after 2003 or 2004 I believe, as does the immobilizer portion, so the real issue is do you want the AUDIBLE portion upgrade for about $125 plus installation ('bout an hour) for Alarm I push button FOB type, or activate the alarm if you have the Alarm II "button-less" type (unclear, but I think they came out in 2007 or so) where you have to have the FOB nearby to keep it from auto-setting. :newsmile040:

Personally, I wanted the chirp and audible alarm, but on my 2004 Sporty, the retrofit Alarm II while only 'round $100 or so requires mounting of the module under the engine, between the frame tubes on a "shelf" where it would pick up all the road grunge and probably go bad in couple of years so I basically said no. Why complicate your machine further, knowing it would likely fail?...besides the silent alarm/immobilizer w/ flashing turn signals is a decent deterrant as is...excellent job by HD to offer as standard, and offer audible alarm as an option...JMHO! :D

+1 more for the security system. i agree with Smitty in that if they want it they are going to get it but if it is a bother they may go seal someone elses ride. As a side note If I can find it I do want to add the trunk monkey security. that seems effective.

Not standard on any machine except CVO bikes. Some dealers order all their stock equipped, but not a factory mandate.

After '01, all bikes were wired to accept the security module as a plug and play accessory if it wasn't ordered.

Thanks Biglew, I really like mine, and was under the impression it was standard because late model Harleys I have seen, and asked rider about had the basic silent alarm/immobilizer at least, guess the dealers were very good at installing them on the display floor, rather than using the traditional $400 aftermarket add-on LO-JACK option so prevalent like at most auto dealers. :newsmile053:

my 09 ultra came without it but i got it from the dealer for 20% off and with the self help section and glider's help i installed it. then went to the dealer and had them program the fob and got a second one that they did also all i paid for was the second fob they did not charge for the program. but if someone wants it it will not stop them from taking it.

My 09 RG just had the basic security system (flashers and ignition disable). I then installed the smart siren using the link from Glider in this post and I love it.

I may add the pager and if I'm traveling and at a hotel sleeping, wear the pager around my neck incase anyone messes with it :)

Back