free website stats program Is My Front End Look O.K. To You . . . | Harley Davidson Forums

Is My Front End Look O.K. To You . . .

schooner

Hey Guys ( Newbie is back & trying to learn ) :s

Here's what's happening now with me trying to put my new wheels back online the RIGHT WAY :rider

The attachment are from my; Right Front End & Left Front End.

I very concerned about that " GAP " you see on the Right Front End pic.

Should that "GAP" be CLOSED-UP MORE :wall

I'm also very concerned about tightening TOO MUCH on those two bolts under the front fork to close-up that " GAP " or is it O.K. the way it is.

I put 50 - 55lbs. of torque on the other side of the fork (on the bolt) according to specs.

Hey guys let me know if any you guys know of any of you have the same Harley as I do; 1985 Electra Glide Classic.

It might help a little bit better if they have the same bike - if not I'm open to ALL SUGGESTIONS :57:

How Does My Front End Wheel Looks To You Guys ?

Attachments

• AXLE RE BAR.jpg
    AXLE RE BAR.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 131
  • AXLE RE BAR HOLDING BACK.jpg
    AXLE RE BAR HOLDING BACK.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 207
  • AXLE RIGHT SIDE SPEEDO.jpg
    AXLE RIGHT SIDE SPEEDO.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 129
  • AXLE RIGHT FRONT END GOOD GAP.jpg
    AXLE RIGHT FRONT END GOOD GAP.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 128
  • AXLE RIGHT SIDE VIEW OF GAP.jpg
    AXLE RIGHT SIDE VIEW OF GAP.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 126
that's too much gap on pic #2. check speedo pickup, it looks out of alignment.

I agree with the gap but I don't believe the fork clamp is tightened down yet.

You may also want to tighten the clamp nuts evenly before torquing them down so the clamp sits level.

One other tip is you can use the proper size Phillips screwdriver in the axle hole and save yourself some work with the rebar.

Last edited:
R - U - Saying the Gap is O.K. . . .

Hey Glider

Are you saying that the GAP in my right front end is O.K. ?

But those two 1/2in. nuts should be torque down more so the "GAP" is close more TIGHTLEY ?

Please explain further is this idoit :newsmile026:

I agree with the gap but I don't believe the fork clamp is tightened down yet.

You may also want to tighten the clamp nuts evenly before torquing them down so the clamp sits level.

One other tip is you can use the proper size Phillips screwdriver in the axle hole and save yourself some work with the rebar.

Re: R - U - Saying the Gap is O.K. . . .

Hey Glider

Are you saying that the GAP in my right front end is O.K. ?

But those two 1/2in. nuts should be torque down more so the "GAP" is close more TIGHTLEY ?

Please explain further is this idoit :newsmile026:

Judging strictly from your pictures, the axle is not mounted properly as seen by the spacing around it and the cap is not snug to the axle. Something is not right there if what you are saying this is the finished job. I would advise to recheck the assembly before even trying to ride it like that. I was assuming that the pics were taken as you were reassembling the front end and not the finished job.

If you read the link i posted it will show that a slight gap between the spacer and fork slider is normal.

Do You Mean . . .

Hey Trickydoc

When you say; ". . . it looks out of alignment."

Is what you saying is: The Speedometer Isn't ALL The Way Into The Wheel,
Hugging The Brake Disc :wall

Please bring me to school on this ~ I need ALL the help I can get :D

that's too much gap on pic #2. check speedo pickup, it looks out of alignment.

Watch Side Of My Front End Is O.K.

Hey Glider

I put the axle thru from the right side (speedo side)
Are you saying the the AXLE IS NOT ALL THE WAY THRU THE FORKS ?

What do you mean; " . . . and the cap is not snug to the axle ? .

Did you think I should dis-mount the entire wheel and puch/bang/hit that left side spacer more into the hub ?

The right side is O.K. YES/NO ?

Judging strictly from your pictures, the axle is not mounted properly as seen by the spacing around it and the cap is not snug to the axle. Something is not right there if what you are saying this is the finished job. I would advise to recheck the assembly before even trying to ride it like that. I was assuming that the pics were taken as you were reassembling the front end and not the finished job.

If you read the link i posted it will show that a slight gap between the spacer and fork slider is normal.

Re: Watch Side Of My Front End Is O.K.

Hey Glider

I put the axle thru from the right side (speedo side)
Are you saying the the AXLE IS NOT ALL THE WAY THRU THE FORKS ?

What do you mean; " . . . and the cap is not snug to the axle ? .

Did you think I should dis-mount the entire wheel and puch/bang/hit that left side spacer more into the hub ?

The right side is O.K. YES/NO ?

This is what I was referring to. Just look at the axle behind the rebar and you will see what I refer to. The retainer bolts don't even look tight either.

Last edited:
Re: Is My Front End Look O.K. To You?

Clarifying what Glider said, the bolts cannot be tight because the lockwasher is still curved, not flat and the clamp looks "twisted".

By the way, your subject line made me laugh...if my gal asked that question I would have been speechless...

Last edited:
Back