free website stats program Is it better to always buy the newest motorcycle you can afford? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it better to always buy the newest motorcycle you can afford?

Wild; Problems with fuel injection can be quite costly, but they are also quite reliable. I was quite hesitant about F.I. when I first bought my '07. Now, 9 yrs. later I realize I tinker with the carb. on my '92 more often.

I replaced the carbs on my 2 big twins with the Mikuni hsr as it works better in my climate than the stock carb however the stock carb has been good on the 883 sportster although I have rebuilt all 3 carbs over the years and keep a rebuild kit in stock in the shed and have a float needle in the on bike toolkit ( Hangover from BMW R days also carry a full set of control cables in saddlebag on triumph T140 750 bonnie spare clutch cable was taped to clutch cable ready for quick changeover)
Experience guides the direction we take and preparedness for eventualities

Brian

The '97 has the Evo engine and being 20 yrs. old, some dealers won't work on a bike that old. If you are not interested in doing much of your own maint. and repairs it might be a headache. If you want a bike to jump on and ride, and have others to do any work, the newer Twin Cam may suit you better. I have a '92 Dyna that only I have touched the engine, and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country.[/QUOTE
There is a shop close by I've been dealing with for years. I spoke to one of the technicians there. He said he would work on a Harley but not do everything. Would the HD dealer have most parts for the '97? Thanks.

I think you would feel more confident working on the 97 then you would the 013 and with the difference in price you could take a nice road trip.

Personally, I buy motorcycles to ride. I do not want to have to wonder if there will be a break-down on a trip that I am taking. The fact that I can work on the bike does not mean that I want to.

Personally, I buy motorcycles to ride. I do not want to have to wonder if there will be a break-down on a trip that I am taking. The fact that I can work on the bike does not mean that I want to.

I hear ya but, I would venture to guess that we all buy them too ride. Doesn't mean the '13 wont end up in the shop more than the '97 Its a gamble either way. The cheaper bet is on the '97 IMO.

It's what ever bike speaks to me. Age isn't as important as condition and set up. You never really get the extras you spend to make it yours back on resell. If it's new and stock, you could be looking at upgrade other things. Seat, suspension, stage 1 or 2, seat rack, etc.

I'd have to see what bike feels right and make the decision on that.

You can save a lot of money but, end up with a bike that sits in the lane way or spend more and enjoy riding it every day. And if you can spend a little money and ride it every day? Well then, that's a great deal!

Everyone likes a good deal. But, even those that spent a little more than they care to admit for the ride they want, are typically happy campers.

Do what feels right to you.

The pros and cons have been mentioned. About age and service etc.

Back