free website stats program Is it better to always buy the newest motorcycle you can afford? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it better to always buy the newest motorcycle you can afford?

Wild1

I have my eye on a '97 Dyna Convertible with 10,700 miles which is mint for $5,300. But I have the cash to buy a 2013 Super Glide Custom used with 1,750 miles for $9,825. Is it better always to buy the newest Harley you can afford?

Buying the Super Glide which is 16 years newer and only a little over 4,000 more is a no brainer to me.
With 1,750 miles it's not even broken in yet but it always comes down to what you feel comfortable with. JMHO.

I bought a new bike in 1980 Motto Guzzi lemans II kept it for 10 years wife sold it when I was away with the Army all bikes I have bought since then have been on the older side as I now know what I like the most up to date bike I have bought tend to be about 15 years old at least at the time I buy them
So it depends on who you are as to what you want to ride get the bike that most suits you
I know that I do not want to replace my 92 softail although at times I have had more than enough funds to replace with a new one

Brian

The '97 has the Evo engine and being 20 yrs. old, some dealers won't work on a bike that old. If you are not interested in doing much of your own maint. and repairs it might be a headache. If you want a bike to jump on and ride, and have others to do any work, the newer Twin Cam may suit you better. I have a '92 Dyna that only I have touched the engine, and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country.

They stay pretty busy improving them each and every year.As stated,my concern would be getting parts,and having a shop be able to work on the bike.But if your a wrench,that doesn't matter.Good luck in your endeavors!

I prefer the older bikes. I have a '96 Dyna and have no issue finding parts. The new stuff involves reading codes and all that comes with modern day EPA compliance. No one can make that decision for you.

The '97 has the Evo engine and being 20 yrs. old, some dealers won't work on a bike that old. If you are not interested in doing much of your own maint. and repairs it might be a headache. If you want a bike to jump on and ride, and have others to do any work, the newer Twin Cam may suit you better. I have a '92 Dyna that only I have touched the engine, and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country.
I have read that people say when there's problems with fuel injection on the newer Harleys it's very costly. I think that's the only reason I would hesitate on the '13 Superglide. Or are these stories over blown? Thank you.

Edited to remove member's response from the quoted message.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree with Sleddog, the electronics and all the new EPA restrictions on newer bikes are a nightmare, imo.

If your not going to do your own work on it, get the new one. Having said that, if i was in the market for a Dyna, I would be all over that Evo! Actually I would be all over Tourbox's hardtail over in the for sale section.....

It's personal preference. But I will admit all the new electronics makes it hard to do a lot of your own work on new bikes. What Bodeen says makes sense. New bikes, for the most part, need to go to the dealer for service/repair. But there are still some things you can do your self on the new stuff. And that, to me, is why I prefer the older bikes. I do my own maintenance on the Dyna and my 94 Road King. Sure, you still may need some specialty tools to do mechanical stuff, but the electrical can be troubleshot and tested with a standard multi-meter.

Back