free website stats program Is idle rpm adjustable? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is idle rpm adjustable?

wglide85

2008 FLHT -- Completed a build over the winter and spoke with the dyno guy at the local Harley shop. He said the idle rpm could be adjusted down to 800 rpm. I picked up the bike after the dyno tune and the idle was still at 1000 rpm’s. When I asked about it, the service manager would not let me speak with the dyno guy and insisted the idle is not adjustable.

My question, using the Super Tuner can the idle be lowered a bit?
If so, could I set it thru my laptop?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Supertuner. If it's an ECM replacement it should be adjustable for idle rpm. Idle rpm on the EFI bikes is only adjustable by the ECM. Don't mess with the idle stop screw on your throttle body!

2008 FLHT --

My question, using the Super Tuner can the idle be lowered a bit?
If so, could I set it thru my laptop?

Thanks

Yes it can be adjusted using the laptop. Using a SEST you can only write to the ECM, you can not read a tuning file. Therefore you will need a copy of the tune file you now have on the ECM. Within that file is a look of table for RPM.
Remember that changing RPM will affect both oil pressure and charging output of the alternator.

I would not adjust the idle to 800. As mentioned above the fuel injection requires a pump to run and lowering the idle would not furnish enough charge at low speeds to keep up with the demand. Not a good idea to lower it from the 1000 RPM's.

Yes it can be adjusted using the laptop. Using a SEST you can only write to the ECM, you can not read a tuning file. Therefore you will need a copy of the tune file you now have on the ECM. Within that file is a look of table for RPM.
Remember that changing RPM will affect both oil pressure and charging output of the alternator.

When I had the bike tuned I had requested a copy of the final custom map. I was told it stayed in the SEST. Is that true? I have reason to question some responses from the local HD. Is the cable kit what I need to connect the ECM to the computer and also to the bike (two separate cables)?

I would not adjust the idle to 800. As mentioned above the fuel injection requires a pump to run and lowering the idle would not furnish enough charge at low speeds to keep up with the demand. Not a good idea to lower it from the 1000 RPM's.

I was only planning on lowering the rpm to 925 – 950, but I figured I ask to go to 800 figuring they would not set all the way down. I installed the fueling oil pump and cam plate, as I was told it produced higher pressure.

When I had the bike tuned I had requested a copy of the final custom map. I was told it stayed in the SEST. Is that true? I have reason to question some responses from the local HD. Is the cable kit what I need to connect the ECM to the computer and also to the bike (two separate cables)?

If we are referring to the Screaming Eagle Super Tuner that uses the VCI interface, then No, a copy is not stored in the VCI. The file is located on the computer that was used for tuning and is located in the following directory C:\ProgramData\SuperTuner\Delphi\TuningFiles\BigTwin\(basefile&yourcustom extension).

In my opinion if you paid for the SEST kit & VCI along with dyno time, then you paid to have that file created for You. Not only do you deserve a copy, but you should be the sole owner of the original.

I was only planning on lowering the rpm to 925 – 950, but I figured I ask to go to 800 figuring they would not set all the way down. I installed the fueling oil pump and cam plate, as I was told it produced higher pressure.

I still would not lower it. The 950-1050 is required to keep the battery up to par, not only the oil pressure.

the calibration file is saved to the vci, but is not removable. you dont need to have a copy of the map to change the idle using super tuner, DTII can still adjust it, but there is a reason for an idle spec from factory, the full adjustable range of idle speed makes very little change to sound on an efi bike. so just keep riding and dont risk reliability for looks

the calibration file is saved to the vci, but is not removable. you dont need to have a copy of the map to change the idle using super tuner, s

I did some research and that is true. The last "saved" tune file will be saved to the VCI if the OP had version 250 VCI firmware loaded. That software (according to HD) came out this year.

Your statement is absolutely correct. I have never seen my VCI store a tune file because my VCI firmware was downlevel from 2009 and something I need to correct! I'm sure the dealership was using SE 3.000.006 software but if he updated the customers VCI firmware to 250 needs to be seen. Hope I did not mis-lead the OP and the whole time he does have a copy. Thanks for the Tip!

Back