free website stats program Is idle rpm adjustable? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is idle rpm adjustable?

spot-on advice from Glider & Smitty, do not lower your idle. You need the added oil pressure, especially when your motor is very hot.

If you want to keep your engine leave it a lone and find a new tuner he is wrong.
It needs to be were it is to pump oil and lube all the parts at idle.
Also very hard on charging system

Somethings are best left alone, I would listen to Smitty on this one while we may want to fiddle with the idle the MOCO does know best here

Does MOCO truly have a perfect motor? If so, why do most at least open up airflow with performance air cleaner and pipes? Is the idle set high due to the lean condition forced upon us by the EPA? Since I am running a higher output oil pump, the system has better flowing heads and I am running a richer mixture then stock I am sure the temperature has been reduced. I do not have heat shields on my pipes and I guarantee I do not feel the heat compared to the stock setup.

Not trying to start an argument and would agree if the bike is stock not to change the idle. My bike is not stock, equipped with a higher flow oil pump. Considering all aspects of the electronic fuel supply system I wonder about whether the charging system would at least output enough to stay even at a 800 or 900 rpm idle. My riding consists of very little idling, mostly at initial startup (warm up). I am undecided about dropping the idle rpm until I at least put gages on both charging and oil system.

Yet I miss the idle from my 1985 FXWG.

Last edited:
I wonder about whether the charging system would at least output enough to stay even at a 800 or 900 rpm idle. FXWG.

Why wonder.... just measure it.

In theory if you had substantial oil pressure and current flow I see no reason why you could not reduce the idle to whatever you wanted it to be. Lets face it, reducing the engine speed does decrease the heat generated by combustion. The trick is getting enough current & oil flow using a rotor and oil pump at 1:1 ratio's of the crank. I sure it can be done if you were determined. You can't just go out and buy a ready made part, install it and increase current & voltage output of the stator. But if your innovative, there are ways to do it. I am sure the same is true for oil flow and pumps. Just about anything is possible if your determined enough to do it.

Back