free website stats program Is a Sportster a "real" Harley? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is a Sportster a "real" Harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AS if anyone were to doubt that a sportster is a real Harley could find further proof in the April 2009 issue of our diehard men's rag Playboy. Just look on page 46 at the top and you can see a picture of yet another sportster model that Harley is introducing: the XR 1200. If a Sporty is not a "real Harley" then why do they go to the trouble to create so many different models? Yes I will admit that if I wish to go to California or take a long distance trip, I will take my Fatboy.... But isn't that why they have touring bikes and then cruisers?:s

OK plain and simple. Is the sporty a real Harley/ Yes!!!! I would not own any other bike. Your reply to that question should be a simple statement

Why Waltz when you can Rock n Roll!!!!!!

IMHO the Sportster IS the quintessential Harley Davidson.
Instantly recognizable around the world, dependable, easy to work on.
Everything you need, nothing you don't.

And besides I just bought a new 2009 Nightster on Friday. :bigsmiley24:

Well, it is not 'new' anymore, I've put 425 miles on it since then.

I'd show you a picture, but I'm verboten this being my first post and all.

I just sold a 96 heritage and bought a 98 1200s. 240 lbs lighter and it screams.
For all that just can't understand-"I'ts not what you ride, it's that you ride"

No doubt it is a real Harley. My 07 1200 Low does quite a nice job carving up the country roads by my house. Leaving the line at the stop sign in a hurry is usually enough to convince people that the 1200 engine is "real" in every sense of the word.

I hear it occasionally from friends--but I give as good as I get; and sometimes first. It is always with an undercurrent of respect--they know I ride daily--not a "summer soldier". Ignore it, or give it back, but with respect.

Remember: "There are but two kinds of Big Twins--those who have been spanked by a Sporty, and those who will be.":s

2005 XL 1200 Custom; NRHS 1250 Conversion, 10.5 - 1; Stage 2 Heads; SE 536 Cams; HurricaneFlow A/F; Hurricane Oil Filter; Mikuni HSR-42; Daytona Twin Tec TC-88A Ignition; Python 2 - 1; Front and Rear Progressive Suspension; Oversize front tire; Superbrace Fork Brace; Speedway Microtach, lots of other bits and pieces.

THE $14,000:shockSportster!

Remember: "There are but two kinds of Big Twins--those who have been spanked by a Sporty, and those who will be."

That's right!! As I always tell them " Roll up to the Line, I'm always looking for a new bike"

My first bike was an 883 Custom, I loved it. I used to worry alot about what people thought until I realized that you ride (and everything else) for you, not for them.

As another post said, they probably don't ride anything to begin with.

Don't worry, enjoy yourself

My first Harley was a 1989 1200 Sportster. A few of my so called friends called it a girls bike and I would get asked if it would grow if I watered it but I just ignored them as I figured they were just jealous ( cause I beat their (behind) and I loved that bike and drove it for 10 years. I would still have it today if I could have afforded to keep it and buy the FLHS both but I didn't have the money at the time and I really wanted the bigger bike. My Sportster was the Rootbeer color and was my first experience with an american motorcycle learning how to take apart, repair and maintain. Great memories and a REAL HARLEY for sure!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Sporty and am proud of it. I have had the same ridicule that it is not a "Real" Harley, and have also had the occasional "Girls Bike" comment. The Sportster performs great on the road and it is a fast little bike. You just have to let it roll right of your shoulder when you hear those comments. I hear alot of riders that are on bigger bikes say they miss the performance of the sporty, wish they had something to throw around in the corners.

All in all, it's just a contest for some. For me it's just to ride, and I prefer Harley, no matter what model.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back