free website stats program Is a Sportster a "real" Harley? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is a Sportster a "real" Harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, those are sweet bikes. But they are custom bikes not Sportsters. The motors are Sportsters but all of them are hard tails and some have springers. No Sporties were hard tail or springer off the line. But I love that look for the Sporty!

It's a shame that even HD themselves perpetuates a dim dogma of the Sporty,, in their television adds they state 'we will give you back your full purchase price when your ready to move>>UP'. Some bike just catch flack. But Baskin Robins makes 31 flavors, because vanilla just aint for everyone. I ride a fatty, and I ride with a good mix of bikes, typical on any ride I take there will be a Honda or two, Yamaha, Triumph a Sporty and even one or two of them nasty crotch crickets.. Just ride and pay attention to the rode, not the logo.

I ride an '07 XL 1200C. I have a sissy bar, throw over bags, a clip on windshield and a set of SE II slip ons w/o baffles. Nobody and I mean nobody says a word to me about my bike being a "chick" bike or a "baby Harley" and gets away with it. My buddies cousin once said "why didn't you guys buy real Harleys"? I answered with "How's your bike runn..............Oh, I forgot, you don't have a bike"! He visibly jumped and got a (edited) look on his face. I slapped him on the back and said "I forgot you're not a biker". He hasn't said a thing since. :bigsmiley20:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an 2005 1200 Roadster for a while, quick, handled well, and the dulal rotor front breaks were great. Lots of fun on the twisties. If it makes you happy it just tickles me to death......enjoy the ride, lifes too short.......

As many Harley riders as I hang out with, Ive been lucky to actually never been asked that by any of them. But I have been asked by the ppl that dont even own a Harley, or even a bike for that matter. But when they ask me all I tell them is its more of a Harley than what they own, lol. That usually gets a kick outta them, haha.

Haven't been asked if it's a "real" Harley, but have been accused of buying a "girls" bike.

My standard responses are first --if they don't own a bike --it'll out run "your" bike, second--if a 1200 is a girls bike, then your gonna (EDIT) all those 150mph 1Kcc crotch rocket owners. That usually shuts them up. Tracy

Please read this...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

I bought a 2008 Harley Sportster and its all Harley to me. Even Sonny Barger liked the Sportster and Evel knievel did stunts on one. It fits the old school definition of a Sports bike. I wanted one in the 60s and 70s all my life for that matter and to me it is a quintessential Harley. My cousin got one for a present from his dad when he came back from Vietnam.He still has it.We all know that human nature can make people jealous sometimes and will put down anything you buy.I bought a Colt Single Action Army one time and some guys at the gun club said I should have bought a Ruger or Italian clone.All I can say is that for some guys only the genuine article will. do .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back