free website stats program Is 37 MPG Respectable? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is 37 MPG Respectable?

Didn't buy my Harley to worry about MPG, have no idea what I get and don't care. Mine is all stock and will probably stay that way. Just to many decision that have to be made when you start wanting to change things. I don't have that much time left to worry about it. Keep it on the road as much as I can. Ride safe my friends.

Nothing wrong with running a stock bike, but it is a good idea to monitor fuel mileage as part of the "--gas filling ritual" the reason being if something goes south in the tuning you will catch it before performance changes make it noticeable (which can be too late). Just fill the bike, zero the odometer, run for 100 miles or so and refill, write down mileage and fuel used (some like to fill and refill to the bottom of the filler neck for more accuracy). Mileage divided by Gallons used equates to your fuel mileage easy enough...simple spark plug change can make a difference of up to 10 mpg if one or both are fouled or gapped too wide.:small3d031:

Is that E10? If so, you might get 10% better with 100% gas. Chevron is top tier gas so you have the best additive package available to keep injectors clean. How hard do you accelerate? In typical suburban/country road operation I get a little over 40 on an 08 RK. Highway/interstate driving at 70+ can lower that into the 30s. Add a headwind and it is around 35 mpg. Your mileage might not be optimum, but it does sound typical. See:
Top Tier Gasoline for top tier gas.

+1 on the no ethanol running better. Where I live, northern WI, Shell has no ethanol in their 93 octane. The car, bike, and boat all run better on this stuff. Noticable increase in power, and smoother idle, more responsive. the boat will turn 5700 rpm compared to about 5500.

I have a 2003 FLHTPI with SE stage 1, reinharts and a power commander. I don't ride especially hard, a lot of just cruising and average right around 50mpg.I have seen as high as 54 after a day of cruise control at 60mph.

Back