free website stats program intermitant knock at idle low end. | Harley Davidson Forums

intermitant knock at idle low end.

ok I have an 02 haratage springer it has 43000 miles on it and after some hard running I noticed a lowend knock at ide. only at times. if I drive it 35 - 50 mph and come back down to ider the knock is usly there but if I ride it 55 plus and come down to idle it make no noise. shut it off it will some times knock and some times not. as soon as you com off idle under any load it goes away. took it on a 400 mile trip and didn't get any louder. sounds like a wrist pin or piston slap. but its down low. im thinking it could be the compisator nut but not sure. any ideas.

I had the exact same thing on my 03 springer and it was the compensator nut, I think the torque is around 165 flbs. I retorqued and all was well.

Check the compensator. If loose remove and have a machinist shave .030" off the small end of the nut. Very common problem in early models. You can achieve the specified torque but not the necessary clamping pressure to keep it tight. The MoCo used to sell shims to address the issue. Piston slap would go away once the motor was at operating temp but if the compensator is not the culprit, there could be a big end rod bearing going south. Hope it is the compensator.
WAP.gif

If in fact the comp nut is loose ( not to factory torque specs) do as dolt suggested or replace with a new nut. Before you remove the nut check to see what it has for torque.
On my 05 ultra the nut would not hold the torque value and ate my rotor. Dealer ended up replacing my whole primary side except the clutch pack. That job alone paid for my extended warranty.

Looks Like you have ALL the answers you need... I can't add a thing but WANTED the members to Know I STILL come here regularly but usually the questions are already answered and QUITE accurately I must say.

Now I'm going for a long ride.:D

Must be nice to have Sun and Warmth to ride in...

YES It IS.......

OH,,, MY Mistake as YOU are supposed to ASK that to Me...:rofl

signed....BUBBIE

The posters that have already given their advice are some of the best at knowing what to look for and are usually right on the money. I don't have much to add to the solution but I do have a question. Could the noise/knock be coming from a lifter going south?

The posters that have already given their advice are some of the best at knowing what to look for and are usually right on the money. I don't have much to add to the solution but I do have a question. Could the noise/knock be coming from a lifter going south?

Lifter would be more of a "tick" or "clack". Op said "knock" down low.....

Even if you replace with a new nut, have .030" shaved off the end. The reason Jeff's comp nut would not hold the torque value was because it was a bit too long. So when torqued to spec, the clamping torque required to keep the nut tight was not achieved. Refer to the pictures Stray Dog posted and you will understand. Torque value achieved but the nut bottoms out before the necessary clamping pressure is achieve and over time, the nut loosens up.:hii

Back