free website stats program Inner/outer fairing swap | Harley Davidson Forums

Inner/outer fairing swap

Fatboy5567

Hello, im looking for some advice on a project I'm looking to start on my '94 FLHTC. i AIM TO SWAP OUT THE INNER AND OUTER FAIRING ON THE '94 FOR THE FAIRINGs OF A 2006 STREET GLIDE. Love the look and additional gauges. To all the gurus out there, what kind of endeavor am i looking at? Is it doable? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ty
Ron
Las Vegas

First obvious question is whether or not the '94 wiring harness is compatible with the '06 guage connections. Second obvious question is whether or not the '06 hardware will mount, without modification, to the '94. Figure that out and you will know the degree of difficulty you are about to encounter and whether or not the swap is worth the effort for a couple of extra gauges. Not riding an F16; how many gauges do you need?;)

How much do you enjoy your bike now as it is??? For you may end up with a basket case sitting in the garage.

As dolt pointed out the wiring harness would be my first concern. My 05 is like a can of worms and I would think not really compatible with a 94 year model.

Well, the original inner is pretty banged up and nasty. The reed switch broke off the back of the mechanical speedo, the previous owner left a birds nest of wires, some connected, some not, the inside, outer fairing bolts were purposely cut off. I was given this screaming eagle inner/outer and I intended

Oops, (EDIT) virtual keybord, on running as little addtional wire for the extra 2 gauges as possible. I like the looks of the newer inner, and i figure monitoring my bike with the addtional 2. Thank you all for the input. Have any of you seen or heard bout it being done? As I study the two bikes, it seems doable. Also i was told it was a street glide. It certainly is a bigger touring model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harley made a frame change on the touring models in '96. so mounting holes/brackets are probably different. Wiring connectors and such can be overcome with some ingenuity. '96- '13 inner and outer fairings are interchangeable. All batwing fairings of like years are the same. The only difference between E.G. std., Classic, Ultra and Street Glide fairings are pinstripes,or lack of.

Thnx for that info Breeze. I held the 06 inner and outer(temp connected) up to the triple tree/forks of the 94 and they appear to match. As for the switch panel, which i will order if the swap works, we'll see about that too. I like the more modern look of inner and looking forward to a stereo every now and then. Im going to work on it this wekend. Will report. Happy Veterens day to all who served. Thnx 4 the liberty. peace

Gauges like the speedo and tach will not work from a 2006 on a 94....Harley changed the way the gauges get their info in 2004 to a new CANBUS system. I wanted 06 white face gauges on my 2003 and can't do it, 04 and up is when the change was made so I can't even make the swap.

2003 and down tach may work, speedo info comes from the transmission, so doubt you'd be able to get that to work ....fuel gauge is questionable based on if it would it be accurate, mine certainly isn't and I go off trip meter to determine what's really left. So you're left with a useless air temp gauge (also inaccurate), Oil pressure and Volt meter that should work.....not worth the effort in my opinion. Not trying to rain on your parade, just letting you know I was in a similar position and my bike is only a year different than when the changes to the inputs were made on the gauges in 04. The newer ECM/Electrical system would be required....and that would be a nightmare to try to figure out...I gave up and I'm pretty persistent when I really want something. Finally realized, certain things just don't fit....like a glove on your foot ;)

Happy New Year all,
As I started the fairing swap everything was going very well. Bolts holes all lining up, I installed alloy art strong arm fairing supports along with the horizontal hill country supports that extend to speaker mounts. Inner fairing is rock solid, I decided to go with a SPR GPS speedo. Mount and afIx antenna, done. My SPR Tach was as easy as hooking up to the pink wire on my ignition harness, I found an Equus fuel gauge that matched the required ohms to operate properly with the 94 Flhtc specs. As Slo-Ryd stated, the oil pressure and volt meter are a go. The Equus temperature gauge has a sensor that i'm looking for advice on. Can I drill and tap a hole somewhere on the heads or jugs that would send fairly accurate temp readings? I studied both wiring schematics for both bikes and while I was in the process of getting indicator lights and switches wired up I experienced a medical situation that resulted in major abdominal surgery. ( (EDIT) CANCER!) Buuuuuummer! Everything was looking like it was a go. I spent Xmas and New Years in hospital, but out now and as of today I turned the corner and like a switch was thrown, Im ready to attack the job again. Forgot to mention that I tossed the light bar are utilized some nice chrome auxiliary lighting brackets that accept my phase 7 spotties. I plan to put those super cool and STUPID EXPENSIVE Custom Dynamics Amber/white dynamic ringz. Love the size and the white /amber super bright LEDs that will standout and be more noticed. Anyway, thought I'd post an update and let you peeps know that I didn't just give up. Any and all advice is much appreciated. I will not go quietly into the night! We riders CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP! I will finish this and post pics and results soon. Thank you all for reading. PEACE
FATBOY5567

Last edited by a moderator:
Back